1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Tempered Ladybird - Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by analouise50, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am new in to year 1 this year from year 3 and am struggling with my literacy. I was just wondering if anybody had ever used this book in year 1 and what sort of activities did you do with it, especially to stretch your more ables? All help appreciated

2. Hi,
    I am new in to year 1 this year from year 3 and am struggling with my literacy. I was just wondering if anybody had ever used this book in year 1 and what sort of activities did you do with it, especially to stretch your more ables? All help appreciated

3. I dont know the story, but generally within literacy based around stories I would link into anything that allows for discussion/work based on describing words, or connective words. Id perhaps do some work on feelings - how is the character feeling at different parts in the story.
    As an end of unit piece of work id work with them to plan and rewrite the story with a change - a different animal perhaps, different events, etc. Dont expect them to change it completely as that level of imagination is just too much for most Y1s and their writing will suffer for it - small changes gives them ownership over 'their' story but allows them to still focus on the skill of writing sentences.

4. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

Link itto PSHE and making friends/how we treat our friends - they could talk/write sentences about their friends and why they are good friends.
    Do some speech bubbles and work on what the characters are feeling/saying.
    Maybe just read the first few animals so children can predict which animals it might meet next.
    Do work following the pattern of the story so that, as impulce suggests, the children can then write 'their' stories based on it.

5. I am a Year 1 teacher and plan all of the literacy for our year group team as I am literacy co-ordinator...when I plan I don't start with the book and try to find activities to match...this seems a strange way to do things to me. I start with the units and what I want the children to learn and then find texts that support this. Have you tried working from the framework? It is a good starting point if you are unsure and can be adapted as much as you like!

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

Could you do some letter writing? The bad tempered ladybird could write letters to all the animals to say sorry for being bad tempered?
    Or do some information writing - the children could find out about the animals in the book and write fact files for them?

7. I've used it in numeracy to support telling the time... useful because it shows the time of day through the position of the sun as well as the clocks...

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide