1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad teaching = bad behaviour. Is this really the case?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by DollyD, Mar 5, 2009.

1. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Had this been posted 20 years ago, I might have been willing to take it at face value and to respond.

Currently? "I don´t believe you."

2. drochester

drochester New commenter

Hi....I am also experiencing the same philosophy. My line manager totally believes that bad behaviour is a direct result of poor lesson planning; it staggers me that anyone can seriously believe that! I was ambushed in a meeting today where that very issue came up, & were it not for the fact that the conversation was moving away from the main thrust & I would look like I was being defensive, I would have shot that comment down in flames. Unfortunately behaviour is realy impacting on T&L with the students simply not doing what is asked of them.....the tragedy is that they know they can get away with pretty much anything. I am a HOD & from the beginning of September 2009 all bahaviour management had to be dealt with by me & support is almost nil. I find it almost beyond belief that staff can say behaviour is down to the teacher when all around Rome is burning...............I teach ICT

3. I am currently also having the same issue.
    I have a couple of year 9 classes who can, when the fancy takes them, make my life an utter misery with their total lack of work ethic and apathy toward any punishment given.
    Regardless of lesson plans or timings, the work that needs to be covered in class is never completed due to the time it takes just to get them to stop talking and take instruction on the next part of the lesson. I have everything already written up on the IWB in easy to follow steps that I take them through and still some of them repeatedly claim to not know what they are doing. Unsurprisingly it always seems to be the ones who are incapable of shutting their traps whilst I am explaining the task in hand.
    The thing is, I am actually concerned about asking for help from my HoD or HoF as I feel that I would be looked upon as being unable to cope or control the class and therefore a sub standard teacher.
    I am at my wits end and am really beginning to hate teaching. What can I do????