1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad reference

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Ooviyen, Jul 4, 2019.

?

Is it legal that presence employer write bad reference against their employee to new school?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2019.
  1. yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ooviyen

Ooviyen New commenter

My presence school gave a very bad malicious reference to my prospective school. Therefore they have withdrawn my offer. so, is it legal by law that my school head teacher could give a bad reference? I am systematically discriminated by staff and a high level of racism against me. Could you anyone please help me out to deal with it? I am under huge stressed

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

3. Ooviyen

Ooviyen New commenter

4. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    The same advice stands. Call your Union. They are the ones best positioned to help and advise you.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  5. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Yes, it's legal.

I know it's not easy being a white teacher in some inner city schools, hang in there!

binaryhex likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

phlogiston and bonxie like this.
  7. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Hi Ooviyen,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way and it's blocking you from moving on. They could have just written you a bland one instead. They sound spiteful.

I can imagine it's so stressful, especially if racism is involved.Have you contacted your union?

http://neu.org.uk/advice/references

Good luck.

8. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

A malicious reference would be wrong and you might get your union to support you through a tribunal.
    A reference based on racist prejudice and therefore an unfair reference would be wrong.
    A bad, but accurate, reference would be perfectly normal. We can't tell from here whether your work was good or bad, so we can't judge. Your current employer, if they agree to write a reference, has a duty to the prospective employer to make the reference true and accurate.

9. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Binary, this is problematic - have you read it back?

Regardless of what you think of the situation he's experiencing stress so why add to it? Can't you sympathise?

Do you know the OP? He said he's experienced racism - those are his feelings - not for anyone to discount. Phrases like 'persecution complex' seem very hurtful and very old-fashioned.

Sigh.

10. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Who knows for sure? The best advice, as I've said twice now, is to get their Union involved and see what they think. Sugar coating and sympathising helps noone although I sympathise with their situation.

Sigh.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  11. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

12. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Your responses reveal a lot about yourself and are extremely predictable too.

I could have almost guaranteed that you'd include the phrase 'chip on your shoulder' and hint at using racism as an excuse but thought not to include it - just to see if you'd prove me wrong. This is textbook.

I am surprised that the moderators let this slip by - beggars belief.

People post on here and present their side of situations so unless we know them personally, people advise based on what they have written or ask further questions (sensitively). If you choose not to believe it, fine - most would stay quiet. Instead you have insulted him and shot down his experience in flames.

But the fact that the mere fact that there could be discrimination seems to have really angered you. Why would you tell someone who feels discriminated against that their feelings are invalid?

Anyway, seems clear we will not agree and I hope the OP can get meaningful advice on this forum.

13. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"I hope the OP can get meaningful advice on this forum."

They won't get any meaningful advice on this forum, just people telling them that their school sounds spiteful and agreeing with them. Not helpful.

They need to see their Union asap for advice, and then hopefully the OP, Union and school can start addressing the issues by sitting down together and talking, making a plan to improve the work of the OP, getting professional help for the OP if that is needed, dealing with racist staff if that is necessary etc etc.

14. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Very good!

15. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

11:33 - well back-peddled and ignores the fact that I'd already sent a union link.

11:36 - shows true-self with a strange / sad comment, which shows a lack of appreciation /trivualizes the impact of prejudice. And I'd worry if you came into contact with pupils in 'inner city schools' presumably some being of colour.

I genuinely hope those who make such comments meet a range of people so that minds may be opened.

Sigh.

16. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Do you not see the previous posts from @binaryhex?
    You seem to be taking umbrage to this users advice, when the union are the only ones who should be informed of the OPs individual situation.

Sigh (seems to be the in vogue sign off)

Piranha likes this.
  17. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

To CheeseMongler I have read them all, have you read the whole thread? He/she has now advised OP seeing his union, which others had already done - including myself. Therefore no 'umbrage' has been taken about 'his' advice.

'Sigh' expresses the sadness I feel about the tone of his responses relating to a poster feeling he is the victim of racism. And subsequent sarcasm related to that. What about this would you object to specifically?

If one feels uncomfortable with that - so be it.

18. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Finally, I hope you can also agree to disagree too as it's clear we will not see this from the same perspective. Regards.

19. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Having a poor teacher teaching in front of children is a disaster for the children concerned. We all know how very difficult it was and still is to remove someone who just cannot cut it from the classroom let alone the profession. A huge well done to the school of the OP for not just fobbing off a big problem onto another school, which they could easily have done. Bringing the OP's issues to the fore by writing an honest reference supported by evidence will help the OP in the long run, even if in the short run they are hurt, humiliated, feel persecuted and embarrassed by being told the personal truth about how their colleagues feel about working with them, the quality of their work and their persona.

20. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.