1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad observation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by stagnes11, Nov 3, 2016.

1. stagnes11

stagnes11 New commenter

I had an observation today and was observed in literacy and numeracy.
    I don't think they went very well, I think the children made progress but you know when you just get a feeling that the observers weren't impressed?!

I was ill and asked to go home post obs because I've been feeling rubbish for 2 days, and my smart board has decided it will only show PowerPoint presentations and all my examples and slides were on smart notebook.

I know people have had bad obs and just wanted some feedback of how to move on. This is my third year of teaching and I started my nqt year awefully but everyone (including my observers) have told me previously how amazingly far I've come.
    This was he first obs of this academic year and worries I've lost it.

Advice please!
    Thanks x

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

No particular advice, cos these things tend to be unfair, and there is not a lot you can do about it. Just sending you lots of sympathy and good wishes. Just remember it is not reflection on you at all, it is nothing more than how a subjective observer related his impression of what he noticed , to a fairly random tick list. And obs have been shown to be only a tiny bit more consistent than tossing a coin. Don't take it personally

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

1. The technology let you down.

2. Some would see it as a cop-out but you were not well. A valid excuse?

3. It irritates the fhuck out of me that people expect a brilliant lesson every time. that's like expecting every day to be sunny. statistically impossible even if you are God's gift to teaching!

Hopefully you were fine and/or the observers accept 1,2 or 3. If not, I would leave the school.

4. Ceecees

Ceecees New commenter

It sounds like you haven't gotten the feedback yet? Honestly, I always think every observation I have has gone terribly and fret about every small thing or look from the observer. Then I get the feedback and I'm still shocked when they say the lesson was really good. It's not that I doubt my teaching ability, but I'm just a worrier and lack some confidence as a person. As a result, I have that dreadful wait time between observation and feedback every time. Don't be too hard on yourself :). Best of luck and I hope the feedback goes well.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Trust your own judgement. You're the one who has to do it.

Who couldn't watch a lesson and pick holes in it, eh?

I absolutely hate the fact that teachers no longer have any confidence in their own judgement. Did you do your best? Are you self-critical? Do you change things around? Are you complacent? Do you think you know the kids? Have you got a life? Are you wedded to the job? Do you have a sense of proportion? Do you understand that nobody can operate at 100% all the time?

IF IF IF these observations were reciprocal and for every observation undertaken you get to do one in return on the lesson of your observer? That'd be very, very interesting.

Anonymity likes this.
  6. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

You'll be fine! You know you have ability and it sounds like, so do others.
    Every one has a bad lesson now and again.
    Does your School practice cross referencing, with respect to Teacher' observations?
    With reference to the above, by observing colleagues, you can analyse your lessons.
    I actually agree with lesson observations, the feedback, when you get it can be advantageous. Check also, 'Tajfel's Social Identity Theory'.

7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I was teaching a subject that the person who was observing knew nothing at all about. Their rubbish advice was put down on the sheet of paper because they just had to say something. Anyone who knew my subject would have laughed at what they said because it didn't make sense. Keep going. You're not the first. Good luck and I know that in many years time you, like myself, will look back and laugh.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

In the old days you'd have an advisor from the LEA. Someone fairly old and experienced. And even THEY didn't always know what they were on about.

These days you've got someone who has been promoted at speed, has little teaching experience but fancies themselves something rotten and STILL doesn't know your age group or subject thoroughly. Or your kids or what happened yesterday or any damned thing.

They may hold the answers to the great questions of the universe but they are probably just as fallible as you or I and just as incapable of being perfect.