1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad observation - is there anything I can do?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by misspixie9, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    For the first time in my teaching career, I've today had an observation that has been graded as "inadequate". However, the observation feedback has confused me.
    Throughout the feedback, the observing teacher started off by stating how good my teaching was, and my classrom presence, and some of the activities... and then moved onto telling me that he wasn't impressed with the low-level disruption in the classroom, that some students didn't appear to have achieved enough, and the focus was too much on pace than quality. I accepted his comments, but I don't see how the feedback can be that the teaching was "great", but the lesson overall was so bad. Even more so when, from a teaching point of view, I thought the lesson went well - for a group of students that tend to make very slow progress, I thought they'd had a really good day!
    Regardless of what I think/agree/disagree with, I'm a little worried about what happens next. He mentioned that I'd have to have follow up observations - does this mean that there's something official in place? Or is it just support?
    My HoD has already said that she disagrees with it - again, fine, and I'm sure they'll support me regardless, but is there anything that can be done about it? Can it in some way be taken off my record, or disregarded, due to all my other observations being 3/2 or 2/1?
    This late in the NQT year all I'm really trying to do is get to the end of it - this isn't how I saw the final term going!!
    If anyone has any advice, I'd be really greatful.........
    Pixie

2. To be honest, don't sweat it. Everyone has at least one observation in NQT year where, to be frank, the observer thinks it went badly. It won't affect anything and as long as you're doing everything else consistently reasonably well, why worry about it? You can't be perfect all the time.

3. I'm not after perfect..., It's always been over rated! ;)
    I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't affect my NQT forms at the end of the year. To be honest, I'm probably more worried about it because the observer was the head teacher, and therefore not someone I often see in my classroom!