1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad NQT report - will they take back the job offer?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by whiterabbit11, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Trying to talk myself down here...apologies in advance for the long post.

I had a terrible experience as an NQT and ended up resigning and leaving midway through a term due to bullying. My union were very helpful and supportive but everything happened too quickly in the end to negotiate a reference.

I completed my first induction term within an awful environment - I was given no support yet simultaneously harassed constantly by the head, including bullying on a very personal level. I was the third of five teachers this head has bullied out within the past 12 months. I seriously considered leaving the profession and needed counselling for anxiety attacks.

However, I have managed to build myself back up and get back my confidence and have landed a new post at a lovely school, in no small part thanks to help from the forums here. I have accepted the job in writing and been through all their checks and forms.

However, they have recently asked to view my NQT report for my first completed term.

This report, quite frankly, makes me sound utterly ****. Some of what is written there is downright lies and some is twisting of what actually happened. They have also been untruthful about various things such as the amount of support I was given.

I am not living in a fantasy land - I know I am just starting out and am by no means perfect, but I am a good and hard-working teacher and the job means everything to me. I worked myself to illness at that school trying to raise standards and was crushed.

When I was shown the report just before leaving, I was in a very bad place mentally (I remember sobbing as I was talked through it by the head, who was always satisfied when I cried) and so only managed to raise some concerns and tried to 'fight my corner' in the section where I was allowed to comment - I refuted several points and that still shows on the report. However, I was so desperate to get out of that hellhole that I left it at that and now realise I should have taken it further.

Basically, I am now terrified that the new school will read it and withdraw their offer of a post or, if not that, think very badly of me which would be devastating.

I know it isn't appropriate and I can't, but all I want to do is go and tell the new headteacher my side of the story! I haven't sent the report yet but I was wondering about maybe bringing it in by hand and asking to talk through it with the new head... Typing that out it sounds a little mad!

Is there anything I can do? What's the likelihood that this will affect my job offer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

More experienced people will be able to answer better but I didn't want to just read and run.

Surely your new school must have seen references before offering you the position and they still took you. They have spent some time going through your forms etc. so I can't see that your new job is at any risk. I don't know how much they know about your past but presumably they know you left in difficult circumstances. It sounds more like they just want to see the report so they can support you in any particular areas if they feel they need to. I am assuming you have only done one term of NQT and may or may not have passed this. I think your new school sounds a lovely caring school who saw your potential for becoming a good teacher!

Try not to be so down on yourself,

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I would go in and explain why you have a bad report, explaining that you disagree with parts of it. Heads talk and know each other and with any luck, your current head will know your former one was a bully.

As the NQT year involves observation anyway, invite your current Head in to your lessons to prove the old report wrong.

4. Thanks for the replies - I definitely want to go in and talk about it. Opposite ends of the country so no chance of them knowing each other sadly!

Once the new head sees me teach/manage a class I know I can prove myself but just worrying about getting the opportunity, this seems like a hopefully good solution.

5. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

To be honest, if it is as horrible as that then I think the person it reflects badly on is them, not you. I've said this before but trust me, you aren't the only one to have had a horrible experience and I know it feels so awful but you will soon forget it.

6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

OP - Your new head should be aware that some Heads (eg. your old one) can be harsh/bullying so should understand, even one from the other end of the country!

7. I'm in the middle of this process and am trying to write my feedback on the form which is making me feel very angry.

When you say you could have taken it further, what do you mean?

8. Hi, I wish I had a) gone further as advised by my union e.g. filed a grievance or similar complaint against the school

b) approached the local authority and asked what could be done about the situation.

Sorry you're going through the same thing, I wouldn't wish it on anyone! Just take heart that it does get better!

On the form, I left a lot of feedback (bullet points) explaining exactly how the school had failed to support me but there was a lot I didn't put in which I wish I had - I wish I had more actively refuted untrue points they had made above.

Best of luck, are you in contact with your union?

9. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

There will be someone responsible for nqts in you local authority. Perhaps a phone call with them might help? Or the nqt person from your old area (who will know last head) could phone new head and pass on their 'knowledge' of the old head. Good luck with your new job.

10. Just an update- met with the head today and am feeling so lucky and relieved. Head said it didn't matter what was in my report and I would be judged fairly by my teaching and welcomed at school. Hope that gives hope to anyone in a similar situation!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Great news - I am very happy for you!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

12. I can help you answer part of the question. If you have good references and if you are backed by multiple heads in different boards, the NQT reports should not be a problem. You can explain the problem, but do not go on and on.