1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Bad News

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by emeralds, Jun 4, 2019.

  1. emeralds

    emeralds New commenter

    I posted recently that I hoped to retire at the end of the Autumn Term 2019. On Friday I was told I had secondary cancer. in my liver and bones. I am now hoping to get ill health retirement on the grounds that I have a low life expectancy. Please can anyone give me any tips for filling in the form. I phoned NAHT but they couldn't book a phone appointment for me until next Wednesday. Thanks for any help.
  2. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    Oh @emeralds I have no idea about the form but I just want to send my very best wishes. Bad news indeed.
    emeralds likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Oh ((emeralds)).
    Your local CAB could probably help you fill out the form, or there may even be info 'out on the net'. This when we could really do with those experts who used to post on here who would no doubt be able to point you in the correct direction. :(
    emeralds likes this.

    SEBREGIS Lead commenter

    My very, very best wishes.
    emeralds likes this.
  5. PeterQuint

    PeterQuint Lead commenter

    You take care of yourself. My very, very best wishes.
    emeralds likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Found this emeralds
    https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/...-pension/ill-health-retirement-factsheet.ashx and it does point out
    Things to consider if you have a life expectancy of less than one year There are certain points to consider if you are seriously ill and you have a shortened life expectancy. If you are in this position, further information can be found on page 17 and in ANNEX 1 and ANNEX 2. In all cases, we recommend that you seek independent financial advice.
    and also says you need a referral to OH.

    You must still be in shock and I trust you're not trying to go into work.
    emeralds and Sundaytrekker like this.
  7. sci

    sci New commenter

    best wishes.
    emeralds and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. HelenREMfan

    HelenREMfan Star commenter

    Am terribly sorry to hear this news and hope that you have lots of support. My friend's son in law, a policeman, has been diagnosed at 34 with an extremely rare cancer and despite 2 surgeries of over 14 hours each, he has been given only a short period to live. The police support has been fantastic. I can only hope that there is some of the same for a teacher. I would expect the Teacher pension service must have support and advice for someone in your position - I really hope so. Thinking of you.
    emeralds and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Don't know if this is relevant too-it's to claim
    Personal Independence Payment (PIP). There’s less form filling and the DWP will fast-track your application so you won’t have to go to a face to face assessment and you should get your first payment within 2 weeks of applying.
    if you need it to cover any interval not covered by sick pay or retirement.

    Being ill with cancer can involve lots of unexpected expense, getting to appointments and treatment, for example apart from the loss of income. I
    trust you have family support at this time and there's still 'And then came cancer thread' on here for virtual support.
    catbefriender and emeralds like this.
  10. paulstevenjones

    paulstevenjones New commenter

    Desperately sorry to hear this.
    Did you speak to TPS? Are they able to provide any guidance or your school’s HR Dept?
    My very best wishes.
    emeralds and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    So sorry to hear this. Can't offer any specific advice, but best wishes and fingers crossed for you.
    emeralds and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. Sundaytrekker

    Sundaytrekker Star commenter

    I’m very sorry, emerald. I’m sure TPS will answer questions. That guide looks a good starting point. I have a friend who got enhanced early pension, she needed medical reports and HR to say she was not fit to teach. That was early at 50 though. I also knew a head who stayed in post on sick leave as this was going to give a better financial outcome than a short pension. It’s really important to know all options before making decisions.

    Also, don’t forget Education Support Network who might have further ways to help.
    emeralds and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. emeralds

    emeralds New commenter

    You are all so kind and I appreciate your posts. Some good advice too which I will look into. Thanks very much.
  14. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Great advice from S Trekker there and yes you may well be better off taking sick leave so do investigate.

    By the way is it that you ned someone to actually sit with you and help you fill in the form? In which case as already said CAB or Macmillan should be able to help. if you're having problems getting someone to fill in an application form with you, please contact us on 0808 808 00 00.
    emeralds likes this.
  15. bevdex

    bevdex Star commenter

    I couldn't just read and run. So sorry to hear your news. ((((()))))
    emeralds and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. foxtail3

    foxtail3 Star commenter

    I believe that Macmillan can advise on claiming benefits. I’m pretty sure a friend claimed PIP and you can get support with things like having a cleaner etc.

    My very best wishes to you @emeralds
    Lara mfl 05 and emeralds like this.
  17. FrankWolley

    FrankWolley Star commenter

    I'd just like to add my best wishes...and say that maybe you should speak again to your Union, saying that really you can't wait until, next Weds to speak to someone...

    I also hope you are getting support from your school, the HT should discuss with you how you want to manage telling colleagues & pupils (or not as you wish) etc.
    Lara mfl 05 and emeralds like this.
  18. Gainingcontrol

    Gainingcontrol New commenter

    So sorry to hear your bad news emeralds. I trust that you have taken off work on ill health to reduce stress and give yourself time to reflect on the next steps. Definitely contact your union for advice as rushing to apply for ill-health retirement may not be the best first option. You are obviously near pension age as you planned to retire this Autumn. Sick leave is there for times of illness and you are entitled to put your health first. You are entitled to 6 months on full pay. Take the time off that you need to seek advice and make considered decisions. Best wishes!
    Lara mfl 05, emeralds and FrankWolley like this.
  19. Brianthedog

    Brianthedog Occasional commenter

    So sorry to hear your situation Emerald. I'd just reiterate what others have said. It may be better for you to just go off on sick leave for now, unless there's a reason why you'd like your lump sum asap. There's a couple of reasons for this, first whilst still in employment, you will still be in receipt of death benefits which can be a not inconsiderable amount - the lump sum is 3x your annual salary. You need to speak to your union for advice, and I know you've said they are not available til next week, but please don't rush any decisions now, you quite understandably will not be thinking clearly.
    I wish you all the best, and know everyone here do too.
    emeralds likes this.
  20. catbefriender

    catbefriender Lead commenter

    Sorry to hear this. I really hope things get sorted out soon.

    Wishing you the best:)
    emeralds and Lara mfl 05 like this.

Share This Page