1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad news is good news :-)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jonntyboy, May 25, 2020.

1. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Yes, it's bad news again for the climate sheeple and their cherry-picking of "trends", but it's good news for the world in general and for those prepared to analyse data and think things through rationally.

Here are the indisputable figures:

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Before you put things like this on - have a look at who made this video and do a bit of research first.

nervousned likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Try scrolling down a bit and have a look at some of the other videos on there.

This site is run by largely deranged conspiracy theorists.

People can believe what they like - but rational people would not take something off that site and present it as evidence. I only had to watch about 30 seconds of that video before I realized what it was.

nervousned and ajrowing like this.
  4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Plenty of those, you included, on the Trump thread.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Maybe - but I think I understand Climate Science having spent most of my life around it and as a Scientist I like good evidence.

Most of the good evidence suggests that we are having an effect on our climate.

I really don't care whether other people don't believe it - it's entirely up to them and I would never question what their motivations are.

I'm not a scaremonger - people can make up their own mind but on the balance of probability we are changing our climate and we must be careful.

peter12171 and nervousned like this.
  6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Pathetic. Anti-science and anti-intellectual.

And this from a poster who keeps reminding us how balanced he is, and how he can't have an intellectual discussion here because most of us are not bright enough.

Look at the temperatures in the Arctic today, and the rate at which they are increasing.

nervousned likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Actually I don't really consider myself a conspiracy theorist in any way. They fascinate me but I don't subscribe to them. Trump is an important man- people listen to him - he "makes stuff up" for his own benefit and it's very dangerous. For example this morning (not for the first time) he accused a radio host he doesn't like of murder despite no evidence at all - and there never has been any.

Incidentally we have spent quite a bit of time and effort chucking insults at each other - don't you think it is time we stopped.

chelsea2, nervousned and Kandahar like this.
  8. letap

letap Occasional commenter

A word usually used by someone who has already lost the argument.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I see it as a useful marker.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  10. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Typical: translated as : "I realised that the figures and data given were not going to support my preconceived ideas, so I decided to ignore them".

11. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Nobody sane denies that we are having an effect on our environment and our climate, me least of all. It's the rest of the hype that a lot of people have a problem with.

12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I watched the whole thing - it's a load of rubbish anyway.

There is no "science" in it - it's laughable.

If you consider it evidence then perhaps you would like to come back and explain it to me.

If you can't then don't.

nervousned and Scintillant like this.
  14. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

[re. the word "sheeple"]

That's interesting, to me as a linguist. I only came across the word maybe a couple of years ago. It seems sometimes to fit the idea of people being led by the nose and blindly following the general trends without thinking, which some people undeniably do, so why do you say it is used by people who have "lost" an argument?

I'd suggest that it may be used by all kinds of people, who may or may not have a good case.

Kandahar likes this.
  15. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I can explain it - anyone who understands English could - but no better than the video does. I would just be paraphrasing his arguments, which seems a bit pointless.

But if you are telling me , from your wider knowledge of science, that his data is incorrect, then I'm ready to listen to why you think that. If you have a genuine argument to refute his data, I'll listen, evaluate and accept it if it's reasonable.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Whose data was it ?

You're missing something there aren't you !.

Anyway - I have better things to do than argue with someone who I frankly regard as a troll so I bid you good day.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A marker of what?

After all the word has a 75 year history on both left and right...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_behavior#Sheeple