1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad lesson observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Getzlaf2007, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Getzlaf2007

Getzlaf2007 New commenter

I received an unsatisfactory lesson observation, which I have never ever been given before in all my years! What am I going to do? I must be terrible, and I am worried sick now. I was told that the children didn't make progress in the literacy lesson and that they could have been stretched.
    It makes no difference what you have got in the past and now I am stuffed. It was a bad day and I was nervous. Now, my career seems in tatters. With support being offered and courses. My reputation is down the toilet with all my good lesson observations. What shall I do? Am in trouble. Has anybody else been in this situation?

2. So sorry to read your post! You will hurt for a while but please do remember it was just one moment in time. Take their offers of support and courses but you know this is just a blip. Try to focus on all the good obs you have had in the past.

3. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Sorry to hear about this. Just remember you still taught all of those good lessons as well! When I got observation feedback I didn't like, I requested another observation and did everything they suggested and more. Sorry I can't make you feel better. People here will know what to say.

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Same thing happened to me before Easter. Have you been offered a chance to have your side of the story permanently attached, for further reference? If you're not sure what you're allowed to do, contact your union.

5. Getzlaf2007

Yes, I have but it want change the grade. I must a fuss another time about things I didn't like in an obs last year. It's their word against yours. I will be observed again in 6 weeks after courses and support. I also have not been given a sheet to sign as such to write such comments.

6. Getzlaf2007

It's just awful that despite tha fact I have done good lessons in the past to the same headteacher. I am now a failing teacher from one observation. I don't have a history of it. Every minute all these observations and such to catch you out. That is why I hate all this monitoring galore. It just undermines and upsets you for no reason.

7. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Yup. I still can't bring myself to even look at was written about me, it feels so raw. It is my right to put my side of the story though, so as I am leaving in the summer (hopefully to another job), I shall grit my teeth and do so. In the mean one I shall remind myself the the evidence that I am a good teacher is in he children I teach, and not in their artificially constructed levels, but in the way that they are. Have a large on tonight, and good luck with the teeth gritting.

8. Exactly the same thing happened to me toay! Are you in my school, Getzlaf2007? I have been offered support, which I will take. I knew the lesson was terrible, it was one of the worst I have ever taught. However, I will take the support, I want to get better and I am not going to let it get to me. It will hurt for a while, but having goof observations on your record will prove it's just a one off. Have a glass of wine, read a book or watch some TV where you don't have to think much, have some chocolate and comfort food (eggs on toast always works for me,) forget about it for one night, get an early night and go in there tomorrow ready to show them what you are made of! I hope it all goes well tomorrow. Keep smiling. [​IMG]