1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad leadership

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teddygirlbell, Jul 5, 2012.

1. I have bitten my lip for over a year now but I'm leaving soon and think that maybe now is the time to do something. Three years ago we got a new FS leader. She is absolutely blind to the fact that the lead teacher in Reception ignores policy and common sense and does her own thing regardless. The other class teacher is in her second year now and she has some great ideas but she is constantly discouraged and told, "that doesn't matter". Plans are inadequate and objectives and observations are rarely followed through. Focus activities don't happen. The environment and resources are only decent because the NNEBs stay after school to tidy and prepare.
    The Rec NNEBs have been to see both the Head and the FSL with their concerns but have been cold shouldered and have decided to keep their heads down now. They are experienced and highly motivated - I've worked with both and they are excellent practitioners. They often have to initiate their own activities as they are not directed or planned for.
    The Lead Rec teacher was supposed to be doing letters and sounds and maths interventions (our children come in to school with very poor skills and lack of parental involvement is a real problem) but these stopped weeks ago (well before "it's the end of term" time), they don't use the agreed school mnemonics and handwriting font, Guided reading has rarely happened, they have poor behaviour management... It's not so much the teachers who I have a gripe with - both are inexperienced and need guidance. We've tried suggesting things but they just aren't interested. I feel that the FS leader should be a better mentor but she just says it's improving all the time. The NNEBs, SSA and PPA teacher say otherwise!
    FSL is deputy and has lots of different roles. I just don't think she has the time to lead the FS effectively. I do a lot of her tasks because I get fed up waiting or would rather do them properly. We are a satisfactory school, we in the Nursery and in KS 1 & 2 all work so hard to raise standards to get the three year's continued raised results we need for a 'good'. Most staff meetings address KS1 & 2 issues. Myself and my co-teacher research to improve our practice but Rec is not moving on at all and it has certainly gone downhill from a few years ago when there were other teachers there. I spoke to the Year One teachers (who used to teach Rec) the other day and they are dreading September again because when they get their classes it's pretty much like starting from scratch.
    I'm thinking that I should approach our LEA advisor (the NNEBs spoke to the head but she just referred them back to FSL who was obviously not happy). I've been so fed up watching my wonderful children's behaviour go downhill once they leave Nursery, and their profile results really don't do them justice. I know I'm leaving and it shouldn't be my concern anymore but I still give a damn about this school because I've worked here for nearly ten years and I hate to think of it happening again and again. I've nearly screamed in staff meetings when it's been mentioned that we still need to raise the FS scores because most Nursery children get their 3 points.
    The FSL and I have a bit of history and I don't want it thought that it's sour grapes.
    So, what would you do?!!

2. I have bitten my lip for over a year now but I'm leaving soon and think that maybe now is the time to do something. Three years ago we got a new FS leader. She is absolutely blind to the fact that the lead teacher in Reception ignores policy and common sense and does her own thing regardless. The other class teacher is in her second year now and she has some great ideas but she is constantly discouraged and told, "that doesn't matter". Plans are inadequate and objectives and observations are rarely followed through. Focus activities don't happen. The environment and resources are only decent because the NNEBs stay after school to tidy and prepare.
    The Rec NNEBs have been to see both the Head and the FSL with their concerns but have been cold shouldered and have decided to keep their heads down now. They are experienced and highly motivated - I've worked with both and they are excellent practitioners. They often have to initiate their own activities as they are not directed or planned for.
    The Lead Rec teacher was supposed to be doing letters and sounds and maths interventions (our children come in to school with very poor skills and lack of parental involvement is a real problem) but these stopped weeks ago (well before "it's the end of term" time), they don't use the agreed school mnemonics and handwriting font, Guided reading has rarely happened, they have poor behaviour management... It's not so much the teachers who I have a gripe with - both are inexperienced and need guidance. We've tried suggesting things but they just aren't interested. I feel that the FS leader should be a better mentor but she just says it's improving all the time. The NNEBs, SSA and PPA teacher say otherwise!
    FSL is deputy and has lots of different roles. I just don't think she has the time to lead the FS effectively. I do a lot of her tasks because I get fed up waiting or would rather do them properly. We are a satisfactory school, we in the Nursery and in KS 1 & 2 all work so hard to raise standards to get the three year's continued raised results we need for a 'good'. Most staff meetings address KS1 & 2 issues. Myself and my co-teacher research to improve our practice but Rec is not moving on at all and it has certainly gone downhill from a few years ago when there were other teachers there. I spoke to the Year One teachers (who used to teach Rec) the other day and they are dreading September again because when they get their classes it's pretty much like starting from scratch.
    I'm thinking that I should approach our LEA advisor (the NNEBs spoke to the head but she just referred them back to FSL who was obviously not happy). I've been so fed up watching my wonderful children's behaviour go downhill once they leave Nursery, and their profile results really don't do them justice. I know I'm leaving and it shouldn't be my concern anymore but I still give a damn about this school because I've worked here for nearly ten years and I hate to think of it happening again and again. I've nearly screamed in staff meetings when it's been mentioned that we still need to raise the FS scores because most Nursery children get their 3 points.
    The FSL and I have a bit of history and I don't want it thought that it's sour grapes.
    So, what would you do?!!

3. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

To be honest, what good would come of any action?
    Walk away, embrace your new role and leave their problems behind you.

4. Agree with other post not your problem as you are leaving. Let someone else sort it out!

5. Hmmm, I suppose so. No one else is sorting it though. Just makes me so cross.