1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad first experience

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jasonneilwilson, Jan 12, 2016.

1. jasonneilwilson

jasonneilwilson New commenter

Hello there.

I passed my training in 2013 and after then managed to secure a position within a large primary school. I won't deny I went into the job unprepared for what was waiting for me, it was by no means all on the school. Full time teaching is of course a huge step up from what you experience during placements. During the start of my time I was left to it with very little support but being headstrong just got on with it. Which I think might have been my biggest downfall. I was then observed late into term one and long story short was told my standards were not good enough to be seen to be an acceptable level. An Ofsted inspection was looming and I feel because of this the school had extra pressure which resulted in my rarely getting time to see my mentor initially. Constant changes to staff, timetables and my own class assistants put added pressure on me. Eventually they did give some support to me but I feel I became a lost cause. Being told constantly I wasn't good enough eventually just drove me into that mind set. I became an emotional wreck in all honesty dreading every day and felt enough was enough. Home life was also an issue as things became messy with an ex-partner. I left both my partner and my job just after February because I wasn't in a good place at all and felt if I continued things would become worse. I realised I was in charge of a class full of children and I wasn’t giving them the best I could be so felt it right to move on.

Now just short of two years on I'm considering giving it another shot. I don't want to give up on teaching as I feel I'll always question whether being at another school would make enough difference for me to make a career out of it. I don't want to jump straight into teaching again so feel some voluntary work during my free time would be a good starting point. So I'm looking for some advice and I guess some reassurance that this is something that I should at least try.

I'm unsure about the induction year rules. Some information seems to point to each term being judged as fail or pass and fail two and you’re done then some points to it being an overall assessment. If you’re there standards wise by the end, you've passed. So what is the case? If I've already done one term does this carry on? For example my first term in another school would be classed as my second induction term or does it start over again? I would be teaching in a different local authority as I have moved.

My plan will be to do some voluntary work to begin with, then if I feel it’s the right thing for me possibly move onto doing some supply teaching to get some experience with plenty of different schools. Eventually I would then move onto applying for full time positions. So my next question is will my first post seriously restrict my chances of getting a position? More so being short listed than my chances when being interviewed.

SEN is where I eventually would love to end up but I honestly have no idea how I could make the jump to that area so any information on how I could get on that path would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Others will be along shortly with comments, but just wanted to say that if your username is your real name, then you should change your username to avoid being identified.

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It's overall.

Yes.

It will be your second term.

You can check your actual status here: https://teacherservices.education.gov.uk/SelfService/Login

Depends on the prejudices of the school you apply to and/or how desperate they are.

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

OK, as @pepper5 says, change your username.

You can't leave this term off an application - any school will want to know where you were for safeguarding purposes, if nothing else. They may also want a reference.

Supply teaching is tough - there are a lot of supplies, and not much work. As for volunteering, a lot of schools are inundated with requests for this. You could find its difficult coming back, but good luck, and let us all know how you get on.

5. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

If SEN is where you want to go, I would just apply there.
    You can do your induction year in a SEN school as well and most schools will provide you with the extra training you need for your students.

I would however first volunteer in a SEN setting so you can make a good decision whether SEN is really for you.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. Sportycb

Sportycb New commenter

A friend of mine wanted to do something similar to you. She had a slightly different problem to you but I think the principle applies: She qualified as a PE teacher but couldn't get a job and really wanted to work with SEN pupils. So she got a job as a TA in an Special Needs school. After a few months they offered a job as a teacher there to complete her NQT year.

I am not saying that a) this is exactly what you would want or that b) it work exactly the same way for you. However, it might be option you might want to look into. She seems really happy there.