1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Bad Education' (BBCThree Comedy)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RedBedHead94, Dec 14, 2016.

1. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

For those unaware: It's a BBC3 comedy starring Matthew Horne (Gavin&Stacey) and comedian Jack Whitehall about a fictional secondary school in Hertfordshire. Watching the Christmas Special right now. I'm aware many of us don't have the time for television :D but does anyone else watch this and find it funny?

I find myself laughing at it, partially wishing I worked there (the head - played by Matthew Horne- is not evil at all and none of them seem to need to do much marking) but also wondering what OFSTED would make of them?

needabreak likes this.
  2. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

I have posted about this before, but I'm happy to do so again:

Yes, Bad Education is funny, very over-the-top, but still funny. He did a Bad Education movie that is borderline 'Inbetweeners' and I have heard there is a USA version in the pipeline. Jack Whitehall will reprise the role (Alfie Vickers) with an all new American cast around him, not sure if that will work. The American Inbetweeners was a disaster.

I quite liked the show 'Big School' from around 2013: David Walliams, Philip Glenister and Catherine Tate. They did a very good Ofsted inspection episode.

But the gold standard for me, as regards comedy education is the real thing.... only joking.

Around the early-90s, when I was getting into the profession, the BBC did a series called Chalk, it was like Fawlty Towers, but in a school setting. Superb. I really should see if it is now on utube.

But the point I made when I last commented on this (and it is still a valid point) - there are several comedy shows based on education, or semi-serious shows with a comedy element e.g. 'Teachers' (Channel 4), but do other professions get lampooned in the same way?

Let the debate begin!

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Funny I used to avidly watch "Teachers" and frankly didn't feel lampooned at all, in fact back then it directly reflected incidences that had occurred in school on a weekly basis... to the point that I began to wonder if it were written by a colleague *still haven't resolved that one. It used to enable me to laugh at things that were indeed ridiculous but sadly completely possibly if not likely or indeed real.

Apparently young people (as in recent pupils/students) seem to have enjoyed Bad Education.

Some would find Charlie Browns teacher offensive but to look at it from the child's point of view gives a better and often more amusing picture.

stupot101 and madenglishgirl like this.
  4. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

The school I was working in about 14 years ago was so renowned, it was used as research for the first 2 series of 'Teachers' - so some of those situations are more real than you think!

needabreak likes this.
  5. Mr_Ed

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Summer Heights High is my favourite school-based docu-drama. I worked with someone who Mr G must've been based on.

CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  7. needabreak

I forgot about Waterloo road, I enjoyed watching that to start with, but not as much as "Teachers"; I recall enjoying the music in teachers... now wondering if I have the right show... o_O. Of course then there was Grange Hill, *while I actually was at school and nothing in that then would have surprised me either. Perhaps I am not easily shocked :eek:

stupot101 likes this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Nothing beat Please Sir.

RedBedHead94 likes this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Gosh, this started years ago!

It sheds as much light on schools in the 21st century as Red Dwarf would have helped Tim Peake prepare for his stint on the space station.

I laughed at it. I watched two series. Maybe there wasn't much else on. It was ok.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I quite like Jack Whitehall and it's quite funny but bears no relation to any school I've ever been in.

needabreak likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We watched all 3 series on Netflix and are now watching Fresh Meat... before we started neither of us liked Whitehall... now... yeah he's quite a funny guy.

needabreak likes this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Does anyone remember the comedy series 'Chalk' also set in a school that was aired in the late 1990's. Fist-gnawingy, buttock-clenchingly awful!

13. needabreak

Never heard of it until now... just watched the link... yes awful and probably written by a member of year 4, possibly 5. I did however notice some irony in terms of the teacher who died at his desk but managed to take two classes and was still being ridiculed for his health concerns... I will leave you all to ponder on that one.

Shedman likes this.
  14. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Fresh Meat was brilliant.

dominant_tonic and lanokia like this.
  15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

When I was on teaching practice an episode of Grange Hill was aired where the fictional class did the humming thing where the teacher can't tell who is doing it. So of course my class had to do it. And then when I got back to college I found that all my fellow teacher students had suffered the same fate.

I am not a fan of teacher programs. They usually give the wrong impression of how schools work and the real problems we have, and too often play to tired stereotypes.

There was one however that was quite accurate, but I can't remember it's title, in 1985 or thereabouts. It was written by the guy who wrote Emmerdale Farm or another soap and was about a late life newly qualified teacher and his struggles. In the face of disruptive students, unhelpful colleges and being unsupported and dropped in it by his head, he sensibly packs it in and gets some sort of revenge on the system and the Head by producing a school play that tells it how it really is at the school.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  16. T34

T34 Lead commenter

I too had never heard of it.
    Sorry, I think it is brilliant. Had me laughing out loud. Perhaps you don't remember schools in the last century.

17. needabreak

I felt it just a tad slow, and some things a bit dated, the idea that the teacher is late for school for example... just a little jaded. The teacher locked in the cupboard was indeed funny but took soooo long to get to the point that unless I was an avid viewer I would have wandered off to get a cuppa or indeed have checked my phone and ended up on here while waiting for the punchlines. It is probably just me, I am too impatient.

That said when I watch things now that I would have found funny years back I don't always feel how I thought I would, an example of this was the Ab Fab film, I waited for it eagerly but found it a little too predictable, almost simply a redo of the old shows. I know others have really enjoyed it but I must just have turned into a miserable git.

Loved Miranda live though and look forward to seeing Dawn French on TV over Christmas.

18. Mr_Ed

YES! Please see post #2

P.S. Thanks for finding it on the uTube.

Shedman likes this.
  19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I think we'll agree to differ on the quality of the show.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Beat me to it!

Jesmond12 likes this.