1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad day :(

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LucSki, Jun 12, 2012.

1. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Hi All,
    Just a little vent really as the other half is away at the moment so only have the cat and dog to whine to.. and they can give you a lick but not much advice!
    I've been sitting at home filling out applications since March.. my rate is reasonable interview wise.. 4 out of about 16 applications (3 interviews were in quick sucession (2 indy/1 state).. then a huge gap then one before half term (state))
    I know my experience isn't great for state schools (4 yrs indy experience) and just cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    I thought they'd be a lot more jobs out this week but so far theres been nothing. I'm in the process of writing 2 at the moment but just know i'm not putting my all into it as i've lost faith.
    I know you get posts like this all the time and i'm just having one of those days where I want to go home to my mum! Feel like the weight of the world on my shoulders.. our family and some friends have had a pretty horrific year so far...and I just want something to go right for someone.. not even me! Just someone that I know.. or someone on here like welshie/lara/supplyslave!!
    Anyway, thank you for reading & sorry x

2. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Hi All,
    Just a little vent really as the other half is away at the moment so only have the cat and dog to whine to.. and they can give you a lick but not much advice!
    I've been sitting at home filling out applications since March.. my rate is reasonable interview wise.. 4 out of about 16 applications (3 interviews were in quick sucession (2 indy/1 state).. then a huge gap then one before half term (state))
    I know my experience isn't great for state schools (4 yrs indy experience) and just cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    I thought they'd be a lot more jobs out this week but so far theres been nothing. I'm in the process of writing 2 at the moment but just know i'm not putting my all into it as i've lost faith.
    I know you get posts like this all the time and i'm just having one of those days where I want to go home to my mum! Feel like the weight of the world on my shoulders.. our family and some friends have had a pretty horrific year so far...and I just want something to go right for someone.. not even me! Just someone that I know.. or someone on here like welshie/lara/supplyslave!!
    Anyway, thank you for reading & sorry x

3. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Hey!
    What's your feedback been?... could you do some supply in state schools for a while (bound to put you off!!) Or maybe contact a state school close to you and ask for a couple of weeks observation/ assisting just to add to CV/ keep busy/ take mind off stuff?
    It'll be the rubbish weather not helping either. It seriously gets me down... some sunshine would help matters along :)

4. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Thanks,
    Feedback has always been positive.. I'm now even supplying for one of the Indy schools where I was 'runner up' to getting the job - although they don't have anything right now..
    I joined a couple of state agencies, but there isnt much in the NW and I'm always at the bottom of the pile
    Youre very right about the weather! and about keeping busy.. however I need to keep free in case any supply comes up as I need the money (Hence why I cant go home to mum either!!)
    Good luck with your search and thanks again x

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Only some sympathy of the"Well let's cry together' type.
    There's actually been a post advertised in my LA, which I've just received details of this morning. I feel it's been so long since I last did an application I simply don't know where to start. Plus it requires recent experience of Year 6. Now that year is where I have most of my experience but . . . not for the last 12 months, since apart from a couple of TA interviews I haven't been in a classroom since.
    Anyway perhaps what we both need is a
    [​IMG]
    and actually get on with those applications?
    Plus your interview rate is MUCH better than mine.

6. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Haha yes true Lara.. I've moved the laptop from the sofa to the garden to try and inspire me!
    Perhaps targets is the way forward.. get the App form and ES done today and most of the Statement tomorrow then finish up after the visit at the end of the week..
    Guess i'm just freaking out a bit as nothing else seems to be around.. so it looks like thats it till January.. :(
    Good luckwith the App and lets get started,, [​IMG]

7. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

I think in order to get an advert in for this week / last week they would have beeb put in during or even before half term. I would imagine that many schools will have waited til they got back after half term - perhaps to take stock, perhaps to wait til the timetable is near finalised to see where the gaps are (for example, in these budgetary times they might decide they can do with a 0.8 teacher rather than a full time one, perhaps they have appointed a member of SLT who can fill a few periods of a subject a week) or perhaps because staff didn't resign until very near the deadline.
    What I'm saying is that I would have thought the next few weeks will be busier - and I would imagine that deadlines will get shorter so turnarounds will be quick.
    Good luck!

8. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Thanks Cheesey,
    Im very sure youre right.. I just assumed all the schools would be rushing to get the best of who is left to apply
    Good luck to you too x

9. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I too was filled with optimism for the start of this week. I hope it comes true for all of us soon. Best wishes.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Very impressed with your organisation for starters.[​IMG]
    I've just been looking at the Job Spec. (which is obviously a copy of the form they send to referees as it has spaces to'mark'.'In each space provided, please indicate in your opinion, how well the candidate meets the relevant criterion. 1= criterion fully met witj elements of exceptional note 2 = criterion satisfactorily met, 3= criterionnot met.'). Just tried putting this into an E.S. and it looks <u>very thin</u>. Oh, how I wish I'd done what I always promised myself- to update my applications regularly! Good job, the closing date's not till the 22nd!

11. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Im good at the organising... its the actual doing thats the issue!! [​IMG]
    Is there a person spec as well? I always use that over the job spec for ES.. or both if things are looking thin!.. maybe find a general person spec and add a few of your own points in?
    Its all very well updating applications etc but you might be better off as you have fresh thinking.. I find myself copying main paragraphs and then adapting to try and fit in which just isn't great and feel like i'm churning out the same old thing [​IMG]
    Lunchbreak soon I think! x

12. I feel exactly the same today. Stupidly slept in (stinking headache and I've been on some horrid tablets to get rid of a bug I picked up whilst travelling) and missed a day of work too :( I just don't know how much longer I can keep doing supply for.Family moving house into a smaller place over the weekend, so can't go home. Have to keep going. Nearly done 1 PS today and going to try and do two ES and at least one more PS today. Really finding this week difficult as I thought loads more things would pop up on job sites, but there is very little. Have 5 apps with deadlines tomorrow or Wednesday in and I really need to hear something back.Sorry to hijack your thread LucSki, but really not feeling great today. It's so hard to be positive about yourself in apps when you hear nothing back, get pipped at the post at interview and keep having your hopes built up by agencies and schools :(We will get there!!

13. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

Aww jeoeke.. don't worry its nice to know we're not alone.. althoughI wouldn't wish this upon anyone!!
    You're doing really well to have that many on the go.. 2 at once seems to be all I can handle.. and I'm not in post or regular supply!
    Yes... we will...

14. All I did during half term was apps and trying to get out for a run, despite the rain, to try and keep my head clear!!Had an awful experience with a school just before half term and then I did a visit that made me realise that there are other just as nice places out there still needing teachers.Right, going to get on with it. Have a job to get!

15. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

SNAP! Been feeling very similar myself, if ony the sun would come out while waiting for supply work/interviews!

16. Exactly! I have a lovely big balcony and my tan needs topping up!!!

17. LucSki

LucSki New commenter

After a day of tears and frustration.. I managed to do the ES and app form and sort the layout of my statement to do tomorrow..
    Also had a long dog walk to clear the head and having a can of cold cola to congratulate myself on getting through another day!!
    Good luck to everyone this week.. and glad to have some good news from Velvet who had been a regular poster! well done!
    x

18. Well done LucSkiThe sunset looks lush out of my window this eve, just have to remember that it's a fresh start tomorrow!!!