1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Behaviour In Class.. Need Ideas!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by teaching-assistant, Jan 24, 2012.

1. We have a boy aged 5 in reception class who started in Sepetember, every day since he started he has had bad behaviour it can range from throwing his snack around the classroom, disturbing lesson to pushing other children around. We've tried all different things to stop this behaviour, sending him out of the classroom, he cannot sit with the other children on the carpet so he has he's personal space. He isn't allowed in the toilets with the other children in the class and isn't allowed play time outside unless he stands by the teachers side even then he will run off. But he still carries on doing these things
    He seems to enjoy being told off and will smile while you are doing this. We have notified the parents and everyday they get told what he does.
    Has any one got any ideas of what we could do?

2. We have a boy aged 5 in reception class who started in Sepetember, every day since he started he has had bad behaviour it can range from throwing his snack around the classroom, disturbing lesson to pushing other children around. We've tried all different things to stop this behaviour, sending him out of the classroom, he cannot sit with the other children on the carpet so he has he's personal space. He isn't allowed in the toilets with the other children in the class and isn't allowed play time outside unless he stands by the teachers side even then he will run off. But he still carries on doing these things
    He seems to enjoy being told off and will smile while you are doing this. We have notified the parents and everyday they get told what he does.
    Has any one got any ideas of what we could do?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

What do they say?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Did he attend a nursery, and, if so, is there anything on record that supports your impressions?
    Tell us what the parents have said.

5. Pow

Pow

I have a similar child in my class and it is very wearing. We have had some good days but I never know what each day will be like. His first three weeks in my class resulted in him biting a differerent child each week! He is now coming to school for the morning and we have just introduced two afternoons as he gets very tired. His parents are at the end of their tether, the school nurse is involved and a lady from the mental health department is coming to see me tomorrow. We take him out of the classroom but he likes to run off, when he is really bad I am now taking him to the Head as the more you tell him the worse he gets. Yesterday he found bits of rice on the carpet and kept spitting it at the children, he will push to get where he wants, he loves to throw the wellies, it just goes on! It is so frustrating as he is a bright boy and has so much potential. Last week he had a bad lunch play and had to stand by the fence, he took off his coat, jumper and tie and when the children lined up just screamed. I also have a happy face chart and we see how many happy faces he can get each day. I would contact the school nurse and also find out what his behaviour is like at home. The nurse thinks he has ADHD but our Senco thinks it is more complex, he has an IEP. Good luck!

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Derbyshire.

7. Pow

Pow

My child is now leaving at half term , parents have been complaining today!

8. teacherof30

teacherof30 New commenter

Hi Forever03,
    That's a difficult battle you're waging isn't it?

Are you doing first and then with him? I do find this helps with defiance, especially if the then is something he wants to do. In severe cases, we operate on that basis continuously, rather than one reward at the end of the day as that is a long way off.

So, 'first you do the writing, then go on the computer'. It can be a 2 minute spell of each, but it gets him complying with you. You may already be doing this?

Are you keeping a diary of his behaviour. Is it going home? Parents in denial make everything so much more complicated.

If you can share specific challenges as well as telling us he is completely defiant, it will help to give you some suggestions.

9. Oh no I had a big reply and now it's gone... need to start again..

Firstly please excuse the font in the first post! Not sure what happened there.
    Yes I am starting to do first and then but I need to be more consistent and I need to condition my TA to do it too. I do have a visual first and then not sure if that will help?

I log behaviour on a computer system but with all the little things I'll clog it up, I shall just keep these notes by hand. He often complains he is hungry I wonder if this adds to it. I do think I need to break it down and give regular intervals.
    I used to have a communication book but mum always came in to complain and have a go if there was a note about anything bad he had done and even if I put something positive she would come in and say how he was picked on by another child etc etc. By cutting it off it stopped her having a go all the time!
    I am meeting with her though every now and then and usually she isn't so fired up. I think I will need to talk to her tomorrow, it's only fair as it is her child but my TA and I are so put off talking to her as she is so rude! I feel sick with it all but I think it might be my inexperience being an NQT.
    There are many examples, worse ones than what I can think of at the moment but the defiant behaviour would be such as refusing to sit on the carpet, or in his own space on the carpet, even if in the area but would not sit- swinging legs to kick out at children instead or climbing on them- even saying things like 'I'll cut you' and making scissor actions (we had a problem with him cutting hair and hurting children very frst term but thats been dealt with and stopped but rearing its ugly head again). Refusing to do small and large group activities, strip down to his pants but refuse to put clothes on for PE/after PE, he would join in with PE and messy activities as he enjoys them but will always find an opportunity to spoil it by being silly or hurting someone. Refusing to tidy up, refusing to wash hands for lunch and then he would change his mind and just try and play with the soap and if you move him away or intervene (which is all the time I am on his case!) he looks very angry and would storm off or go to break something even punch out at children- I think he might take a swing at me.. it is building up I though he was going to do it Friday when I took the playdough away in tidying up time.
    He punched a child this time so I went to put him on timeout and he went into meltdown crying, even made a bit of a run for it and hid behind the door in corridor- I did not shout I was calm and nor did I say anything out of place, but FS leader had to intervene he is a bit wary of her which might have made him worse initially but he then calmed down with her. He would always go to time out normally and he would calm down and it did him the world of good. this Thursday and Friday he needed to go and is resisting.

He even refused to get ready for home time. By then I just dressed him myself as children were going home early cause of snow and I just had enough by then! I know I shouldn't have done it he will expect it now but I just had to !!
    My TA and I felt like crying friday it was constant off the wall behaviour he also thursday friday would break down if I was to take him into another room for time out (which is the next step after time out in own class) and I just couldn't go there incase he hurt himself.

I wondered about getting my TA to prepare him for Lunch and home time earlier just to give him a little 1:1 also. He has an end of day job new at the end of last term and it is starting to wear thin already.
    I feel sorry for him as I don't think he gets much attention what with him being 4 and he has siblings both different ages under the age of 2 years.

Many Thanks

Forever.

10. Don't see this as a personal thing. I had a child in my clas in Reception,and after almost 30 years of teaching,I had finally reached a point where I had to admit defeat.5 years later, the same child now has 2 'minders' all day. Not her fault that she is the way she is,but hard to deal with when you have 29 other little ones to teach.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I think you have the answer to his behaviour here. They sound like idiots. There will be no improvement if they are really as you say, which I can well believe they are.

I wouldn't do things for him if he won't do them himself. If he goes out to his mum with no coat on what can she say? And if he doesn't wash his hands I presume he doesn't get any lunch. He obviously has no boundaries at all at home. He needs them at school. I'd abandon the stickers and be really fierce - you get the same as everyone else if you behave like them. It's not cruel, it will make him happier in the end. But it's very, very hard and I don't expect you have the support you need. It sounds like you need a policeman not a TA! And you are not a rubbish teacher. You're a very caring, dedicated one. But you've been put in an almost impossible situation. What often seems to happen to pupils like this is that the school muddles through for years, bending over backwards to help, then the child leaves, because the parents believe it's the school's fault, and spends his last two terms in a new primary school where he doesn't have time to get really bad so the parents continue to blame the first school. I've seen the same thing several times.