1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bacon

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 30, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So what is it with bacon? I'm at breakfast this teenage lad is almost bellowing 'BACON!' and piling his plate up with I'd guess 15 rashers... and I'm glancing over every so often and he did eat it all. Like it was crack.

Now I like bacon sure, in my student days a bacon buttie got me through but as an adult I don't eat much of the stuff. Sure, I had some with my eggs and sausages but... it's just grilled salted pig... but some people seem obsessed with the stuff.

Made me think of this video...

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It has been the downfall of many a vegetarian myself included.

foxtail3 likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I like a bacon sarnie- but it must be crispy bacon on white, no butter, maybe tomato ketchup.

RedQuilt likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

5. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Animal flesh. Ugggh.

Geoff Thomas and lanokia like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you eat too much bacon you end up being carted away in a hambulance.

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In my volunteer job I do farm tours mainly with the younger children. We don't go into the gory details but, oh dear, the expression on a child's face when they realise the pigs have to be killed to eat them!

ValentinoRossi and lanokia like this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Electrolytes. Teenagers go through a lot of them.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What protects baby pigs in the womb ?

Hamniotic Fluid

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Actually these bacon jokes remind me of one of my Dad's classics on the subject of the village fete (I won't mention the village) years ago which featured some sort of animal beauty contest.

Dad used to refer to the event as a "fete" worse than death.

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Bacon is probably one of the greatest things on earth tbh.

Proper streaky crispy bacon though. If you can't pick it up and snap it in half then it's not done.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Hate it crispy. It has to be moist for me. In the US they offer you a 'side' of bacon and then bring you 3 cremated rashers!

14. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

My daughter is one of those that will have a plate of bacon, and only bacon, at an 'eat as much as you want' breakfast buffet.

The fab thing is she eats free as she's still a child! It's also the only thing standing between her and being a veggie.

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Me too
    It was the smell that re-converted me

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Quite right. I also prefer a rind on my bacon; something to chew after. The eye should be eaten first then the remaining meat stripped from the rind using one's fingers. Then chew the rind.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

OBVIOUSLY "no butter"! What kind of ridiculous (probably Southern) notion is putting butter on a bacon sarnie?

I have to admit that it was bacon sarnies that put an end to my vegetarianism (after 15 years of no meat) when I went to my second headship. We used to have secondary heads' meetings starting at 8am and these yummy comestibles were provided - the toasted teacakes for non-carnivores paled into insignificance.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Total nonsense!

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  19. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

They're always served with butter up here. Goodness knows why - completely spoils the whole experience. You have to ask if you want them without - son's a bit paranoid as he doesn't eat dairy and always has to check that they've remembered (some places have the rolls already buttered and try to get away with not letting on). The fat has to be crispy for me - not cremated, though.

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

You just gotta have butter on your bacon butties; it enhances the whole fat-laden grease-fest.
    If you're going to pig out you may as well go the whole hog!
    :)