1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bacon rinds

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Rott Weiler, May 1, 2020.

1. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I bought some bacon (unsmoked) from an organic butcher last week and it had the rind on. I've snipped it off and now have half a dozen rinds left over. In a spirit of wartime 'waste nothing' I'm wondering what to do with them!

I remember my mother used to keep the rinds when I was a kid but I've no idea what she did with them. Only suggestion I could find in my cookery books was fry them until crisp then chop and add to stews.

Other thought was I have a chicken carcass in freezer I'm going to make stock with, I could put the rinds in with the carcass.

Any other ideas? It may be that I've now discovered all the worthwhile possibilities for using bacon rind! :)

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Have you got a microwave?
    The easiest way to make them into a crispy snack is to microwave on medium blast for about two and a half mins. Job done.
    If the rinds are long you can tie a large knot in them first-this makes them look more interesting.
    Eat with beer or wine.

BelleDuJour and Rott Weiler like this.
  3. Kirley

Kirley New commenter

I would use them for stock as you mentioned and/or in soup for added flavour and texture especially if fried.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I like to cook the bacon with the rinds on, until nice and crispy.

sbkrobson, nick909 and primarycat like this.
  5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yeah I like rind on bacon as well. Obviously the bacon needs to be crispy as Belle says!

sbkrobson likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Let's not forget that adorable bird feeding function (soaked first to divest them of salt), although for me personally, home prepared bacon rind to garden birds is pearls to swine.

Marshall likes this.