1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Backing out of a job offer.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Can I back out of a job offer if I've verbally accepted it?

I had an interview today and was offered a job but something doesn't feel right. Maybe it's that I've been at my current job for over four years but part of me feels that I've made a huge mistake.

Thanks

2. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

It won't be well received, and I doubt you will be welcome at that school in the future, but you won't be the first to do this. Contact them immediately, apologise and don't give any complicated or awkward reasons. keep it short and sweet and do it now

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

By that logic, you'll never get to leave-that four years is not going to shrink if you stay there.
    There must have been something else.
    Or you are worried about induction into a new system.
    Or simply that your current school is the right one for you.
    Sure you can refuse the job having accepted it-what can they do?or realistically, what will they do? If they interview others at least they have other candidates to perhaps fall back on. There was bound to be a second best.

it's quite important to know why exactly you are refusing. For yourself.
    Start by reminding yourself why you applied in the first place.

steely1, HolyMahogany and Piranha like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you feel like you've made a huge mistake - you probably have

Get on to the school IMMEDIATELY

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You've written in the past about problems you've had at your current school.

Why, when you've been offered a post, do you want to stay?

Maybe you have made a huge mistake by getting a new job. From what you've written in the past, you could also be making a huge mistake by staying.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

If you are unsure, back out NOW.

For what it's worth, few jobs other than teaching expect candidates to accept at once or later that day. Most allow a day or two for reflection.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, tell them immediately so that they can put Plan B into effect.

Apologise profusely. Do not say that they are not the right school for you. Say that you realise that you are not the right teacher for them.

They'll believe that as they curse you once they put the phone down.

You might find it easier to send an email rather than talk. Do it tonight if so. They will then curse you when they read it.

Best wishes

jiin71, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Is it the school that is making you panic, or the fact it is in Scotland and requires a move?
    It is normal to worry a bit when moving...make sure you don't withdraw in a moment of panic.

jlishman2158 and Lara mfl 05 like this.