1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to work help please

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kitty33, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Im not due to go back to work for a while yet but want to make a part time request. I briefly mentioned this to a colleague who has now been talking about me behind my back, warning my close colleague that they need to watch their back as im going to stitch them up. Im so angry about it as my Head probably knows my intentions before ive had the chance to talk to her myself.
    Another question that i have is how do you work out the 0.4/ 0.6 etc. If i wanted to work 2 or 3 days a week what would this be? (If that makes any sense at all)

2. I don't think requesting 0.4 or 0.6 guarantees you 2 or 3 days - it could work out that you request 0.5 and are given five half days. A lot depends on your school, your subject, and how understanding your head is!

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You can REQUEST 2 days off (= 0.6eq), but they may offer you a different 0.6 arrangement.

4. 0.6 is the equivalent of 3 days (maybe spread over the week, e.g. 5 mornings would be 0.6) and 0.4 is two days. When you make your request say something like you "wish to request 0.4, preferably over two full days" or something like that. Good luck!

5. I think its important to make an appointment to talk direct to your head. I was worried sick about my part time request but it went really well. I explained what I would really like, my head did the same and we came up with a 0.5 compromise! 2 and a half days a week. You need to be really clear about how you want the 0.5 / 0.6 whatever to work as it has got to work for you and your childcare too. Good luck

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Also, you could offer to work fulltimeat periods of sickness, as in when lots of people ill in winter, if that suited you of course, this might help her see the benefit. Speak to your colleague and try to sort tha out though, your union could help if necessary