1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to work after maternity

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by pink_elephant1, Jan 21, 2016.

1. pink_elephant1

pink_elephant1 New commenter

Hi, just after advice. I'm on maternity and taking a year off. I've asked if I could go back part time on my return and I was told literally straight away that I couldn't do that due to the fact that I had to return to the job I left and that there was no part time role available.
    Am I correct in thinking that my head shouldn't have refused straight away?
    Also did she give a good enough business reason for refusing?
    Thanks

2. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

I'd forget the idea if the Head said no. It really matters little if they gave it due consideration etc. In practice, you still won't be able to go part-time. You need to do your time (13 weeks last time I looked) returning to your old job or you'll forfeit some / all of your maternity pay while off. Just do what most do, return seven weeks before the end of the Summer term so it is 13 weeks by the end of the Summer hols, resign when you return and look for part-time work elsewhere.

3. pink_elephant1

Thanks. I thought looking for another job would be the best option. So does the summer holidays count towards the 13 weeks?

4. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I think they should have considered advertising for a job share, I'd ask again. What job is it that you do? Some things are easier to do that with than others, but I think they should consider it.

5. joannagb

Yes, it's 13 weeks of employment - regardless of holidays etc. Will message you too.

6. pink_elephant1

KS2 class teacher.

7. joannagb

I'd have thought that a job share would be ok with KS2, might be worth pushing it a bit.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

9. Willsmum79

Willsmum79 New commenter

Theo's advice helped me! I was off with stress and anxiety during pregnancy then maternity leave and formally submitted a letter of application (by using Theo's advice) for part time hours. Apparently I am the first person EVER at the school to put it in writing and the first under the current head to apply. I got it! I got EXACTLY what I wanted and 2 other members of staff have had their verbal request refused or accepted but on a temporary basis. It pays well to be 'brutal' in your letter. In mine for example, I stated that a qualified teacher was better than an unqualified teacher, which in the role I wanted, was being covered by an unqualified member of staff who was on a temp contract anyways!
    Good luck!

10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think the answer given by your head is wrong @pink_elephant1 . You are not asking to change roles, but to have your role changed?

I would formalise it, and put it into writing. I would also though start to consider what sort of part time role you would be after.. It is a lot easier for the school to recruit someone 0.5 or 0.6 for example. If you are looking to drop a day, it is harder for a school to recruit a person to make up that time.

Come up with solutions to any problems you foresee. Can you come up with a way that your timetable could be split? Do you know of someone who would be willing to job share? This makes it a lot easier and harder for an employer to turn around and say no.

I disagree with @Willsmum79 I am not sure what they mean by being 'brutal' but this is not the sort of approach that i think is appropriate in these negotiations. An employer is within their rights to say no, It is far easier to build up a positive line of communication.