1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to work after 6 weeks off for bereavement

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dancersandra7, Dec 26, 2018.

1. I've missed a half term of work due to my brother suddenly passing away and I'm extremely anxious about returning to work in a few weeks to the point it's all I can think about. I don't know what questions the pupils/staff will ask and I don't know how I'm going to cope with the stress as it's also my NQT year. Does anyone have any tips on how to make the process any easier??

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well it might be as well to ask your line manager to explain to staff you'd rather not have to field any awkward questions about the reason for the absence. Then just stick to ,"I.m sorry I've been away and you've had to cope without me, but I'm back now so let's get on with work as normal."

3. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Is there any chance you could have a phased return as it could be difficult to be thrown back in at the deep end after six weeks off in such difficult circumstances. It could also be worth seeing if you can see occupational health. I know bereavement is not a health issue as such but they may be able to offer some support with your return to work.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I daresay it varies but a colleague lost her husband suddenly last Feb. She didn't come back until after Easter and was on a phased return.
    I suppose you're worried that well-meaning comments might set you off. Lara's suggestion is a good one but I expect the kids will ask where you've been too. Grief affects us all differently and it's hard for managers to set a time limit on it. Just take it one day at a time and be aware that sometimes it's 2 steps forward, one step back. But then some more forward ones.
    Good luck, and I'm sorry for your loss.

lrw22, InkyP, nizebaby and 4 others like this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Ask the staff not to mention it (as per lara's suggestion above)...as for the pupils I think it depends on the age: as a secondary teacher, I think I'd pre-empt any questions by working out a short, bland but honest statement and start the first lesson with each class with that. Primary? Not sure. Others here will know better.

Good luck however you approach this. I'm pretty sure it won't be as bad as you fear.

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a suspicion that some sort of bland statement about "Sorry I was off, let's move on now" will do and in a couple of days it will feel as if you have never been away. The students will stop asking and some other topic of interest will come along.
    But do take care of yourself. Keep in touch with your mentor and don't be afraid to admit if it's all a bit much.

lrw22, bonxie and Lara mfl 05 like this.