1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to the Future Day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RedQuilt, Oct 21, 2015.

1. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I was just watching the BBC News piece about this and the question about whether, given the option, going back in history or forward to the future would be chosen.

I think I'd choose to go back to the 1920s when new technologies were developing and society was beginning to change.

What would you do?

2. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

I'd stay where I am
    Something new every day as it is

grumpydogwoman and RedQuilt like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34569759

I'd set the co-ordinates for southern France in the late Palaeolithic, to try and find out what they were thinking when they painted the caves.

Then I'd travel forwards to the 1950s to fill up the time machine with mint condition stuff to sell to Vintage collectors.

RedQuilt likes this.
  4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Pointless, and who is behind all this nonsense? Who is making money out of it? And what bad news from our lovely Tory government is the biased BBC hiding behind all this trivial ****?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I would go back in time just a few years, and smite down any television bod who permitted quiz show dithering. Ask a question, answer the question, don't witter your way through every option, relate your life history and revel in your tv close-ups. Just bluddy answer.

Likewise announcing the winner of a competition. The artificial pause is so irritating. Why drag out the result by a few more seconds? Smite them down, l say!

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The people interviewed on the BBC this morning were doing various Back to the Future things to raise money and awareness for the Michael J Fox Parkinson's Trust which, if like me you've ever known anyone with Parkinson's, seems far from trivial to me.

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Have to say the films left me cold.... so didn't follow them (Star wars too ! )

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It was a stupid fillum!

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My big sister beat me for not saying 'fillm'.

10. grumpydogwoman

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I went to the flicks.

12. grumpydogwoman

Pictures. The 'm' word? Never will I say that word.

13. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

it is also Trafalgar Day and the 49th (?) anniversary of the Aberfan Disaster. Or so my calendar tells me
    Those are my priorities and whilst they aren't as exciting as BTF I wish the news had more coverage of them

14. grumpydogwoman

Aberfan! Yes. That should be in the news.

15. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

future for lottery numbers first.
    then off to spend it on things made by people before they got famous/expensive - paintings, furniture, jewellery, designer stuff, house. Use/wear/sell as appropriate.
    then future for lottery numbers... etc

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have in the past pondered what I might be able to offer our ancestors it I could travel back in time. I concluded that although I know a fair bit about the application of technology, I know remarkably little about the basics, that is, where to find the raw materials and process them to the point of being useful.

Following up on the debate over whether or not we should allow our essential industries to die, it's pretty much the same thing. Once the expertise in how to make steel is lost, it makes us entirely dependent on those who retained it. The nation will be just as disadvantaged as our ancestors would be with the technology I'd be offering them, if they couldn't get the materials for it.

17. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Well considering he's bothered to arrive today from the past, Marty could at least have the decency to pop by my flat and the ish me a happy birthday - I'm still bloody waiting for him; I'd even give him a bit of cake :)

lanokia and bombaysapphire like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd have to be forced to go back in time... very unhealthy...

But if forced, the Byzantine Empire under Alexius Commenus.

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

midnight_angel likes this.
  20. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would choose the past. It would be so interesting to see and experience a different period of time, rather than just reading about it. You could investigate unsolved crimes, or stop crimes from taking place. But if you changed the past then you would, of course, change the future, which gets very complicated when you start to think about it. So perhaps it would be best to stick to investigating crimes.

Visiting the future would either be for personal gain (lottery numbers, sports results, etc), or for curiosity. But I think knowing about your future would inevitably lead to you making some different choices, which would possibly end up changing the future. It seems very complicated and no real gain, because you're going to see the future anyway if you wait long enough.