1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to the classroom post hysterectomy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by AGRANGE1, Mar 1, 2019.

1. AGRANGE1

AGRANGE1 New commenter

Hi I'm interested to know how quickly fellow teachers have returned to work after having a hysterectomy.
    I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. I've got the standard 6 week sick note and think my recovery is going pretty well. I can walk (slowly) for up to 30mins and other than a bit of discomfort don't feel too bad. Despite this I can't see that I'm going to be OK to resume whole class teaching in just over 2 weeks. How long did you have off and how did you feel returning to work? Many thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Glad you are recovering well.
    I had the same surgery just over 20 years ago. That's a very long time ago now, and I was probably at about the same stage as you after a month. But I can well remember thinking 'How will I ever run again?' and still being very careful with lifting anything heavier than a toothbrush! Also working out ways to do tasks like hoovering without putting any strain on my abdomen.
    I thought I could probably return to work after 2 months - but my then school and Occupational Health said no, as I was still not able to lift anything. I was a nursery nurse at the time, which involved setting up outside equipment, hauling the tarpaulin off the sandpit - lots of 'heavy' jobs. They had a long-term supply to cover me and insisted I had a whole term off. I had my op in early September and went back to work in January. I was fully recovered and back to normal well before then, but enjoyed the time off! I guess much depends on whether you work full or part time and the type of job you do.
    Please don't rush back - get another 2 week certificate from your GP and see how you feel then. You should also definitely have a phased return when you do go back, phased over four weeks.
    Very best of luck and hope you are fully recovered before too long. I've never regretted my hysterectomy - once recovered, my quality of life was so much better.

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I was back part time after 2 months and full time after 3 months. There were lots of normal things I couldn't do, hand out a pile of books, load paper into the photocopier.....

bajan likes this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

absolutly

AGRANGE1 likes this.
  5. AGRANGE1

AGRANGE1 New commenter

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. It's reassuring to know that I seem to be on track. Your school was very understanding and supportive, luckily, mine are too. I'm a full time Y4 teacher so heavy lifting doesn't feature too heavily, however, you just never know what this job is going to throw at you!
    I have to say that even at this early stage I'm feeling quite liberated by the operation.
    Thank you again

6. AGRANGE1

AGRANGE1 New commenter

I hadn't even thought about those practicalities! I was thinking purely about the amount of time spent on my feet. Thanks for pointing those out.