1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to teaching?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ctheresadl, Aug 15, 2018.

1. ctheresadl

ctheresadl New commenter

I'm at a loss... I qualified in primary education in 2003, passed my skills tests in ICT and English... the maths test had me completely whipped. Sometimes I was as close as 1 mark away. Lost track of how many times I tried... just couldn't manage the pressure of speed. I did supply work until a school asked me to stay on as a unqualified teacher, but left after 3 years. I had much success on the classroom. Long and short... I'm seriously considering a return to teaching and just wonder what I need to do. I have trief to go in as a TSA, but on my 1st assignment i was quickly identified as someone with teaching experience. Any thoughts? Im in my early 50s... is it too late for me?

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

why can't you pass the maths?

3. ctheresadl

ctheresadl New commenter

Not sure how it is now, but the speed of the mental section would leave me flummoxed. Just wasn't quick enough.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If you're not bothered about the status of a 'proper teacher' then you might get by as an unqualified teacher doing supply and getting occasional long-term to permanent gigs. It should even be possible to negotiate a decent salary if you're good enough and the school is desperate enough. Trouble is these will be bottom-end schools and there aren't many who want to hang around in such.

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

My understanding is that independent schools may be able to be a little more flexible over qualifications. Is this a possibility where you live?

6. ctheresadl

ctheresadl New commenter

I can certainly explore that. Without being boastful... I am a pretty good teacher who so happens to have the biggest Achilles heel where it comes to passing the maths skills test. Thanks for your tip.

agathamorse and mothorchid like this.
  7. ctheresadl

ctheresadl New commenter

Thank you for your response... ideally I would prefer to go through as a qualified teacher... I'm good at this just wish o could get over this hurdle.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You may have justifiable issues with the assessment. Have you considered which sections are the issue and why that is? It could be that you require reasonable adjustment for this. If you had to do them on paper rather than listen would that change it for you?

9. ctheresadl

ctheresadl New commenter

Now that I really didn't think could be amended. I'm better with the written portion... but the 1st part with info blasted at me 60 miles per hour :. By the time I've processed what i've heard, and worked out the strategy, it's too late.

10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Whilst the vast majority of people can do this with practice, if you find someone who can't do it despite constant attempts it suggests there could be other things at play.

Your first step would be dyscalculia. This can affect people especially if they struggle to do mental arithmetic in their working memory. https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/dyslexic/maths-difficulties-dyscalculia

Other more unusual things are like minor hearing impairments. If you have to really concentrate to hear things properly then that concentration can overload your working memory capacity. It's why we have to stop walking when we do complex maths - we can't do both (see Daniel Khaneman's work).

In such cases, you do not have to do the aural part of the assessment like that. They will give it to you on paper. I would certainly suggest exploring this pathway.

11. ctheresadl

ctheresadl New commenter

Thank you so much.. this is insightful and extremely encouraging me. I'll look at this further then find out how to go about starting this process again.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I hate to disappoint you, but there are few prep schools around who would employ you without a teaching qualification. If you have played first violin for the London Philharmonic in the intervening years and are applying to teach stings, then you'll be fine without a teaching qualification. However for a general 'primary' teacher, someone with some supply work and three years as an unqualified teacher (presumably ending around ten years ago) would stand very little chance.

Maths by the end of prep school, even those who finish at year 6, is of a very high level. If you can't pass the maths skills test, a head would have serious concerns as to whether you could teach maths.

2003 was fifteen years ago!
    It seems a very odd thing to have given up within five years or so rather than making the concerted effort to pass the skills test.

An unqualified teacher earns very little more than a TA. Maybe try to get a post as a TA, with a view to qualifying as an HLTA fairly soon?