1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to teaching?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by leonslow, Dec 14, 2015.

1. leonslow

leonslow New commenter

Hi all,

Hope everyone is ok in the lead up to Christmas. Here is yet another mental health post to keep you going! I know you probably can't get enough of them!

I am a NQT and have been signed off since the beginning of November due to anxiety and depression (I had a panic attack at school, fortunately my fabulous TA had a rare afternoon in class and was able to prevent the kids seeing too much). My illness has been up and down but I am in a very bad patch at the moment and have had a resurgence of the self-harming behaviour I had when I was a teenager.

I have been to my GP and am on medication but can't access any talk therapies until January. As my 'loopies' as I call them are clearly deep-rooted, I feel I need this to get to the bottom of what's causing all my anxiety/depression but I have no doubt the stress of the job was part of it.

I was only on a one-term cover contract so would have finished at Christmas anyway, but I'm just so frightened of going back into teaching. I haven't been this ill in a long time and just feel kids deserve better than me. All my experience is in education though - I taught English abroad, worked as a TA, did my PGCE - so I literally don't know what else I could do. I feel like I'll either be going to back to a job that exacerbates my illness or starting again from zero, with no clue where to begin.

I'm not looking for advice really, just needed somewhere to vent this all out!

2. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

It sounds like you have a very good understanding of your situation and concrete plans to get better. You might wait to see how the talk therapies affect your "loopies" before making a definitive decision about going back to teaching. With support, teaching might not exacerbate things. Kids deserve a healthy you. A person who has confronted mental illness and overcome it has a great deal to offer young people, especially the 20% who will face this in their own lives. Good luck!