1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to square one

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by VelvetChalk, Mar 30, 2020.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hi

I posted here not long ago about never getting perm jobs. The job at that time went to the deputy heads daughter but I didn't apply due to illness. I managed to get an extra year in that village school which was lovely but I'm now without a job after a failed interview. I interviewed on Friday and heard back today. I am m6 with lots of experience. The job went to a student known to the school through our office staff.

So here I am, 39, newly separated and no job and utterly down. It seems I always get two rolling temp contracts then the school drop me. I work hard and try my best but I just don't seem to equal a perm job.

I am very quiet and shortish(5'3) and mousy ..maybe not that noticeable or memorable or intersting? My head said I don't sell myself professionally and I need to be a member of the team (my school is 1 form so I thought I knew everyone well now) instead of always using my school time to work as that's when photocopiers are free.

I just feel like I'm doomed in any job because I'm a bit of a mouse. I dunno how else to explain it.

Any advice?

thanks for reading.

2. moonphase9

moonphase9 New commenter

I'm a PGCE student job hunting currently, so feel completely free to ignore my advice. But, going by what you've said, I'd listen to the feedback from the Head Master.

Sounds like he isn't saying you're a 'mouse' but just that you need to be a bit more pro-active. If you're a hard-worker, and it sounds like you're saying you are, you might need to advertise that a bit more. Like emailing and letting your line manager know what you've been up to. I don't know. It may sound like brown nosing, but I think it's a way of getting your name recognised with people who could keep you on.

'Selling yourself professionally'? Maybe that's how you dress? I imagine you behave professionally. So maybe you need to "look to part"?

Again, I don't know and I'm no expert! I'm very new and was looking for advice myself, but you seem down so I thought I'd offer ideas.

Sounds like you're at the beginning of a new journey.

Good luck!

3. usernametesconnect

usernametesconnect New commenter

4. usernametesconnect

usernametesconnect New commenter

I too am experienced and not good at selling myself. It is hard when you have loads of experience but it also means you are expensive. I have had a few contracts and worked myself into the ground and was let go of. My last experience was back stabbed by TAs who were jealous but I didn't realise it at the time. I was wanted but didn't sell myself.. I think Managers, Heads are stressed and look to others to uplift them. I feel as soon as I over work to prove my worth and get tired, people think you are unmotivated. I was doing supply so I could get to know staff and see where I fitted in, then of course had to stop.I was getting interviews and now this. What I realise is I am more experienced than some heads. Sell yourself on that without theatening them (they have egos) . Don't see yourself as a victim. I am quiet but come alive when I teach and kids love me as I am genuine. Things will be different in the future. I feel the system has changed as have people. I hope genuine people are recognised. Some younger teachers are full of hot air and no life experience. I intend to pace myself in the future and to time manage better. Keep going and believe in yourself.

5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

The school can’t turn round and say “We can’t afford you, sorry”. It might be grounds for an age discrimination claim.

Do ask if they would give you a reference. Also, if they come crying to you in the future to do more long term Supply, make sure they agree to pay you to scale from Day 1.

You have experience so a few things against you:

1) Cost in salary, pension, etc

2) You know what you’re doing and probably heard a lot of nonsense in your time. So you are not going to be keen to do a lot of extra work enthusiastically if it’s based on the latest gimmick...Or, indeed, to be like Saul, post Damascus, after a training session on the latest idea...

3) Possibly unconsciously, but there is a lot of ageism and sexism in the educational community...( my personal view, donning tin helmet and ducking now...)

On Supply Teachers with experience are valued because we just get on with it .. but we are paid very little until 12 weeks. When it comes to a permanent role, well, we are expensive.

I wouldn’t take what the Head said to heart. I’ve been too mouthy and too quiet. But mainly too expensive. I’ve got to the stage where if I am invited to interview I get the feeling it’s so they can tick age diversity box.

6. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

May I add racism to that as well. I went to a school recently and was there most of the year, where there were not many ethnic/mixed race minorities and had students say We don't want to be taught by that black >>>>>>>>>>. Indy school with no discrimination policy in place till a few months after I came and colleagues saying must be tough being a mongrel .

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

When you say 2 rolling contracts, were they 2 years or more?

8. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Yes one was 2 years 2016-2018 where I interviewed for the second year and this current one where I started in 2018 and got second year with no interview.

I've only ever worked for one council.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do you not get interviews? So your application needs to be improved.

Do you get interviews but not jobs? So your interview technique needs to be improved.

Do you get interviews where they know you, but no job? So you need to book an appointment with Head or Deputy Head and ask for specific advice on steps to take to get a job.

Not something woolly about "need to sell yourself professionally" but specifics. Although that comment does suggest that your interview technique needs to inprove. it is difficult sometimes for a polite person to put themselves forward in a school where they work, because you tend to think "I needn't tell them all that, they already know".

But the point is that you DO need to tell them all that, when you're an internal candidate, you need to pretend that you aren't, that they don't know you, so say it all.

Best of luck

Theo Griff

10. RonaldMcDonald

RonaldMcDonald New commenter

You say you work hard...so what are the fruits of that hard work? Sell them