1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to School

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 13, 2019.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Do you know what...

I'm actually quite looking forward to going back in September !

I know you're not supposed to say things like that on here but I'm certainly not feeling in any way apprehensive.

Apart from the fact that the school email system is down so I can't get my new timetable (which I haven't even looked at properly yet) and the set lists ...or anything else.

Wish me well for the next week - I'm going on holiday with a chronic back strain (that not code for my Mrs before anyone asks). I am in so much pain today.

2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Not yet not yet not yet.

mothorchid likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Absolutely

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Enjoy your holiday and I'm glad you are positive about going back.

But sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Sorry to about your back. I hope it doesn't spoil your holiday.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Peakster, I will make a suggestion to you: Go to a good osteopath. They are truly worth their weight in gold as I've found out. Without my own, I'd be in a wheelchair because of the neglect of the doctor I went to. I know just how you feel about going back. I am retired and I'd give anything to go back to my teaching work. I loved it so much.

7. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I'd like it if it genuinely was just the teaching. It's all the other stuff I can't stand.

Shedman, TCSC47, celago22 and 3 others like this.
  8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I was also going to suggest a visit to the osteopath tomorrow. That, and keep moving about during the day; don't rest up too much.

As for going back to school, I often used to look forward to it, having bought all my new stationery and requirements. More recently though, following changes in the regime which involved a strait-jacketing approach to lesson planning, I enjoyed it less and less. Now heading into Year 2 of retirement, so the mental release of not having to worry about accounting for exam results means I am most certainly enjoying this week and will enjoy next week as well, in particular.

I recall you saying you had done a lot of lesson-planning for SoW; no doubt you are keen to get going and reap the rewards of your labour, which I can understand. It's a good feeling of a job worth done.

Enjoy your hols!

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I won't get to an osteopath before tomorrow but I'll definitely be doing it if this pain doesn't subside.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm keeping moving as much as possible.

It's warm where we're going - perhaps that will help.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I hope my back improves

My lab is a mess.

12. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

I am also looking forward to going back to school, I am enjoying the holidays but like going back to school fresh and ready.

Autumn is my favourite season as well, I like the cooler temperatures and the changes in nature. To be honest I don’t like the season summer and it’s only recently I’ve started admitting it because others think I’m mad.

In September, when most people are lamenting the end of summer, I’m gleefully looking forward to cooler temperatures, cosy evenings as the nights draw in, Strictly, jumpers, boots and bulkier food such as roast dinners.

suzuki1690 likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No - I'm not with you on that one.

I hate the early, dark nights.

14. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Some of us (here in Scotland) are back on Monday...:(

15. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

It's about now that I really look forward to going back to school.

Won't happen this year. Really sad.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

O thought I'd hurt my back. Turned out to be shingles. I had no idea that the pain starts before the rash.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

That's Maleficent's attitude since she had to retire. I skipped out the door on December 31st ( getting some of my books) and went to a tackle shop for new rods and reels.

18. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Sorry to hear about your back problem, @peakster - hope it doesn't impact on your holiday too much. I can sympathise and empathise, having had a back problem for several years. I've had osteo and physio; both ease it for a short time, but nothing so far has actually made a major difference. I think it's simply an age-related degenerative issue. I'm reluctant to raise it again with my GP as, at the back of my mind, I think someone will suggest surgery of some sort might help. And I really wouldn't want to consider that unless I felt I just couldn't go on with it - for me, there's something very scary about spinal surgery. I hope the warm weather and time to relax helps you.

As for back to school - I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but I'll be fine when it comes. I've been away for a couple of weeks to the sunshine already and am off on another trip next week - lovely, but I don't seem to have much time at home to catch up with all those chores you ignore 'till the holidays'. There's always the next one …..!

19. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

@peakster Get some ibuprofen gel and apply to where it hurts. Also take lots of hot baths. Hope you have a great holiday and a great academic year!:)