1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to school...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jcw, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jcw

jcw

As a new school year approaches, what are your top tips for starting off on the right foot? Classroom layouts, displays, first week back, files/folders etc?

2. jcw

jcw

As a new school year approaches, what are your top tips for starting off on the right foot? Classroom layouts, displays, first week back, files/folders etc?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No 1. Ensure you have a rest over the summer so you're refreshed in Sept.!
    No 2. To be able to do that; decide on what you need for the first week-broad MTPs for Topic, English & Maths -download as much as possible to prevent 're-inventing the wheel' & then <u>relax</u>.
    In addition Start as you mean to go on, setting out guidelines for behaviour, work expectations etc.
    Displays -use the first week for the children to make the classroom 'theirs'!

4. jcw

jcw

Ha ha thanks! I have had 6 weeks off already - in which time I haven't even thought about school! :)

Thanks for your advice Lara mfl 05. Just wondered if anyone had specific little gems that I could steal...!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Have things organised in your room and sort of 'role play' in your head lessons where children will get books/pens/etc and check that it will work. Beautifully organised, but not actually accessible, resources will cause you a headache later.

Obviously you can't display children's work at this stage, but you can get bits and pieces up on the walls that will excite and inspire them. Also things like a timetable, groups, etc if appropriate.

Depending on age, you might want to write names on the children's books.

Plan the first week or two and try to plan things that won't need much marking. Going back after six weeks off is always tiring, marking is the last thing you want to do.