1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to school traumas....

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Sep 6, 2017.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

'Reasonable investigation' is a legal test and it's difficult to easily identify a list of components that would show it was 'reasonable'.

However, if I were alleging that a fair procedure had not been followed, I would be looking at every stage for school policies to have been followed (which should be at least in line with the ACAS Code of Practice, as @nomad said); evidence of the decision-making process that gave rise to the formation of allegations; who made that decision and why; what alternatives were considered to sending you home, why a decision was made to do so and who made it. Did they seek HR advice or act unilaterally? At every stage of the investigation I expect to see fair evidence-gathering procedures and evidence of an evaluation of the evidence, to justify whatever next step is taken.

As for proving a witch-hunt, there is always an evidence trail, even if it's not immediately apparent. It may or may not be easily available for an internal investigation but could be requested. Failure to provide it may be further evidence of unfair procedure. If it got as far as litigation, disclosure of this evidence can be forced if necessary via an Application for an Order.

This is something that could be discussed in further detail in camera.

nomad, digoryvenn and Sundaytrekker like this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

It might be worthwhile just checking if you need to ask for anything to be deleted in terms of threads posted. There is a post about a member of staff using your password...for example.

Either way - be strong and the leader that you truly are. This is a test of your leadership and your integrity.

Feel free to pm me if you need more moral support :):):)

nomad, digoryvenn and Sundaytrekker like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It's wonderful to have your knowledge and support on this thread, GL.

nomad, Jesmond12 and digoryvenn like this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Thanks GL. I am going to need all this fantastic advice.
    I am seeing my unon on Friday and will go armed with all the questions you suggest.
    I hope @TES_Rosaline will be able to set up the invisible forum for us.

I have been reading the ACAS guidelines and will cross reference against that as well as school policies.

Thanks Install. I know I have given a lot of information over the past few years and it would be easy to put it altogether and I know members of staff from school post on here.

nomad and install like this.
  5. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Sorry @digoryvenn - am late to this forum. You have my full support as a fellow HT in this horrible situation.

nomad, digoryvenn, Jesmond12 and 2 others like this.
  6. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Senior commenter

I too did not want to read and run - as one human being to another I'm so very sorry about the way you have been and are now currently being treated .
    Some heads aren't doing a good job for whatever reason , but you do not come across like that . You are for your pupils and staff alike and for the love of learning to be passed on to the next generation .
    I'm so pleased that you can have support from some wonderful people on here and my wish is that you will be exonerated and that those who are plotting will be the ones exposed and brought to book .
    Take care of yourself .

7. digoryvenn

Thank you so much startedin82 and Norsemaid for your kind words.
    Everyone has been so supportive.
    I really hope it will be sorted out. It is a conspiracy and I hope I can prove it.
    As GL suggested, I am trying to find an evidence trail.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

@digoryvenn I don't normally do messages of moral support, but something about this thread stands out to me. It strikes me that rather than ranting and raging as some do, your self-respect and professionalism are fully intact, which must be very difficult in such circumstances.

I hope that you are able to achieve a positive outcome to your current situation and put it behind you as soon as possible.

I would offer to join your hidden group, but am fairly confident that my knowledge of such matters is inferior to that of some of the above posters.

Good luck. Pomz.

9. digoryvenn

Thank you so much Pomz.
    I would be very pleased if you would join the hidden group when it is set up.
    It is very difficult but I am focusing on gathering as much evidence as possible.

install and nomad like this.
  10. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

I only ever post occasionally but read it a lot. I sometimes have found just reading this forum helpful just to know that I've not been alone in how I feel or experienced. However, I know DV has had a lot of trouble with certain things having read on here (won't repeat them now for obvious reasons) but am happy to help.

Lord knows this is a tough enough job as it is without people who 'think' they know what the job entails getting all power-hungry.

11. digoryvenn

Thank you Northhead. I would appreciate your help.

install and GLsghost like this.
  12. pasturesprimary

pasturesprimary New commenter

When I did the training they were very clear that the standards were aspirational and not targets to be met. However, as always i think that if the allegation suggests you are underperforming in your role then the same way as the teachers as you would hold them accountable to the teacher standards you may need to provide evidence of the ways in which you meet the standard. Bit garbled but hope it makes sense.

install and Sundaytrekker like this.
  13. digoryvenn

Yes, thank you pasturesprimary.
    Unfortunately, the allegations do not allow me to provide evidence of how I meet the standard. However, it is a good suggestion worth consideration.

install likes this.
  14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Have you had a response from @TES_Rosaline about this yet? I did tag her but it would not hurt to send her a conversation too, to ask her to set up a private forum and tell her who has offered to support you. You are able to add others at any time by asking her.

In the meantime, avoid discussing your situation on the open forum. Walls have ears.

Lara mfl 05 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  15. digoryvenn

No, I haven't heard from Rosaline yet.
    I will send her a conversation and ask her now.
    You are right, I won't post any more details.

install, Sundaytrekker and Northhead like this.
  16. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Good luck. I'm not a head so don't think it appropriate to join an invisible group, but really hope things work out for you.

17. digoryvenn

Thank you.

install likes this.
  18. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I can't think that I would have anything to offer in an invisible forum - but just promise, when its all done and dusted, that you will come back on here and let us all know its been sorted.

19. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

Wishing you well and offering my support. I am no longer a head in the UK but was forced out by the actions and manipulations of the LA and a hidden agenda (nearly 10 years ago now). Had great union support and support from on here too. All I can say is that there is light at the end of the tunnel although it often won't seem like it. Don't be afraid to rant to people when you need to - I found trying to keep everything bottled up was the worse thing I could do.

install, digoryvenn and nomad like this.
  20. digoryvenn

Thank you cornflake and stressedhead.

Cornflake, I promise I will let everyone know the outcome. Say a few prayers for me please.

Stressedhead, I am sorry this has happened to you too. Where are you working now?
    After all this is over, I am thinking of moving to Spain to work.

nomad, Sundaytrekker and install like this.