1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to school traumas....

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Sep 6, 2017.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

If specific support away from prying eyes would be useful, you can ask TES_Rosaline to set you up an invisible forum, into which are invited only those posters you wish to support you.

We have done it before for very vulnerable posters with sensitive problems and last did it to organise Theo's Leaving Do so she did not know what we were up to!

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Yes, though I would expect to see the particular universal standard made specific with the details of how they believe the standard is not being met.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Thank you.
    Yes, I will ask Rosaline to set up an invisible forum.

Sorry, I edited my earlier post.
    I have just read the guidance on the use of headteacher standards and I interpreted it as the standards couldn't be used in that way. Thank you for the correction.

4. digoryvenn

@TES_Rosaline GL has suggested that I ask you to set up an invisible forum please so I can recieve support from some posters on here.

I am in a difficult position a d would be grateful for the support from the posters.
    Thank you.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Well it would not stand up as an allegation on its own - it's non-specific. However, if they identified a specific issue and linked it to the standards, that would in my view be different.

It's donkey's years since I looked at the HT standards but, by way of an e.g., if the standards made reference to -say- financial competence, I might expect the specific details of the allegation to relate to examples of that.

6. digoryvenn

Yes, I see. That is what seems to have happened.

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

There must be sufficient detail in an allegation for you to be able to respond to it. If just the HT standards (or a standard) forms an allegation, you could not possibly know to what it specifically relates and have a fair chance of responding. Unfair procedure.

8. digoryvenn

I don't know the exact specifics yet. I am going to ask for them. I think I should be sent all documentation including witness statements. I need to ask for those.

It is also unfair because I am not allowed access to school documents to prepare my defence so I need to sort that out.

I believe the whole procedure, right from the beginning in March, has been unfair and disproportionate. I wish I could prove it!

install likes this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Digoryvenn, I am happy to join if you wish me too.

sabrinakat and digoryvenn like this.
  10. digoryvenn

Thank you Jesmond.
    Yes please.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Me too.

@digoryvenn download and read the following:
    http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/f/...-on-disciplinary-and-grievance-procedures.pdf

Your employer doesn’t have to follow the Acas code. However, if they don’t and you win an employment tribunal against them, you could get a larger payout.

There’s more guidance about how employers should run disciplinaries in the Acas guide (link below).

http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/9/g/Discipline-and-grievances-Acas-guide.pdf

You say that you don't know the exact specifics yet. You should. Your employer’s disciplinary procedure should include specific steps, the first of which is a letter setting out the issue.

The manner in which a procedure should be carried out can be found in: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/o/5/Conducting-workplace-investigations.pdf

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    install, GLsghost and digoryvenn like this.
  12. digoryvenn

Thank you Nomad.
    Thank you for the links.

I have received a letter but allegations are put in general terms except for one.

install likes this.
  13. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I'm an ex head. I'll join in if you want.

I thought when the new headteacher standards came out there was specific reference to them being standards to aspire to but could not be held to account for performance management purposes. That would be different to malpractice, of course.

install and GLsghost like this.
  14. digoryvenn

Thank you Sundaytrekker.

15. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Me too if you need help. Really shocked and angry about how you have been treated.x

16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Beware of them undergoing a 'fishing' exercise to see what you respond with. You cannot respond to vague allegations without specifics.

Be wary too of doing their job for them. It is for them to provide specific allegations (if, indeed, they have any), not for you to go looking for them.

You should not be denied access to documents you need to build a defence. You can make a list for your union and insist they are disclosed to you. Again, however, be wary of anticipating and responding to allegations that have not been articulated.

It is for the school to carry out a 'reasonable investigation' and reach a decision based on that. That means at every stage of the process, including framing allegations and sending you home on not-suspension-but-paid-leave in the first place.

Happy to support if you think I have anything helpful to contribute. Am currently in hospital long-term though so access to resources is limited.

digoryvenn, Sundaytrekker and nomad like this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

I am not a headteacher but good to hear you have Union support. Sounds like you have troublesome governors maybe....

digoryvenn likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This could win any 'understatement of the century' award! :rolleyes:

I can't help in any way and have no clue at all. But I hope you make it out of there with your good name intact and go on to find happiness and success elsewhere.

19. install

install Star commenter

Agree with this post 100 percent.....:):):) the Union will be the key..:)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    digoryvenn and Sundaytrekker like this.
  20. digoryvenn

Thank you Marshall. Yes please.
    Thanks Caterpillar.
    Thank you everyone.
    I am so sorry GL to hear you are in hospital. I hope things will work out for you. I appreciate any advice you can give.
    The school haven't carried out a resonable investigation and they have failed to follow all polices and procedures. I need to prove this.
    How do you prove a conspiracy and a witch hunt because this is what it is?

install likes this.