1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to School/Post Holiday Activity

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nemsling, May 1, 2016.

1. nemsling

nemsling New commenter

I'm so bored of my typical literacy/back to school activities - I'm sure the kids are too.

The kids love to write about their holidays but I want to come up with a new way of doing things. In the past we have created a list of questions together - and then they choose which to answer - things like @When were you brave?" or "what special meal did you have?"... but i've done this with them and it's time for something new.

I've played with the idea of doing a 2 truths and a lie type activity, but have shied away from it as I don't want to be in a position where I am giving them advice about how to lie! Although, I think it could be quite light hearted fun.. maybe if I called it two facts and a fiction?

but if anyone has any more refreshing ideas, I would love to hear & share! I am also cooking an idea about having the children write their news as a news programme, but in the past, I have seen that the children don't know news programme genre the way I though they would. I teach in an international school which might explain the lack of exposure.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I just go right in with the next topic.
    We chatter at lunchtime about their holidays and what they did, and as they come in and leave their bits and bobs first thing in the morning.
    Definitely don't bother with writing all about it.

3. -DoingMyBest

-DoingMyBest New commenter

Maybe the children could write a series of sentences about their holiday (with a key writing target e.g. using specified conjunctions or every sentence must have an adjective and/or adverb - depending on age group).

Then they swap with a partner and decide which sentences are fact and which are opinion (reading comprehension activity).