1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back-to-school essentials: thought-provoking video from the Sandy Hook families.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Sep 19, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

2. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

That is powerful.

3. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Chilling.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Wow... What sort of a society needs to make films like that, I wonder? :confused:

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I saw that earlier on, on Twitter. Some the the comments,presumably emanating from State-side are really very hard to read.
    In terms of what it seeks to hold dear, it is a really good video.
    The smart kids,the nice kids, the thinking kids-any of them who watch that will never grow up to take an anti-gun stance.
    So this video doesn't just bother me for now, it bothers me for the future too. I could weep at their lack of opportunity to see things differently because of artful mind washing rubbish like this. .

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I feel sick. Frightening.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The odd thing is, if the education ministries of certain third world countries issued such a film one would probably think "Sad, but par for the course in dangerous underdeveloped places like that."

God Bless America eh?

FrankWolley likes this.
  9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Chilling indeed.
    But isn’t the advice not to use mobile phones in such situations as it can give away your hiding place ?

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are still a few sick conspiracy theorists in the states who deny Sandy Hook ever happened and think it was some sort of government propaganda exercise to promote gun control.

11. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

How sad. What happened to only having to worry who could pee up the urinal the highest... at school.

Once I got over the top and splashed the window ledge the impossible bar had been set.

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't understand this. What do you mean?

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I mean I understand the words, but not what you mean in the context of the gun regulation video... you're saying it's a bad video? I thought it was pretty hard hitting and relevant. Why is it brain washing?

14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Or have I TOTALLY missed something..?

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No, I have mixed up my posts-I was writing and the editing two or three posts at the same time yesterday, as you do; thank you for asking or I wouldn't have spotted it. It makes absolutely zero sense!
    What I meant to say at at the end was "normalisation of fear" (or simlar) in stead of "mind washing rubbish"
    (I'll let you guess which thread that was meant for...)

My point is that the video is driven by fear and these kids are internalising from the get go that it is completely normal. The need to protect themselves will endure as the become older. So many of them will grow up desperate to have their own guns. Vicious circle.

coffeekid likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Ah, I did think it was a bit odd! x

17. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

Terrifying