1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to school dread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hasslethehog, Aug 30, 2016.

1. hasslethehog

hasslethehog New commenter

I'm sure many others are feeling this already - I was surprised to not find an active thread on the topic!

For me, the anxiety dreams are in full flow, and that creeping, nauseating dread is starting to leak into my waking hours too.

Bearing in mind I'm going back on a part-time contract after a year of MH difficulties which also led to my stepping down as HoD: when is this experience normal, and when is this a sign I'm in the wrong career?

blazer likes this.
  2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Post on work place dilemmas and read the threads there. Things usually improve as soon as term starts I find.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, yes. This has cropped up quite a bit in Workplace Dilemmas.

Frankly I'd be worried if you WEREN'T worried.

Part-time is definitely the way to go. You'll really appreciate the difference, I promise!

hasslethehog, blazer and emerald52 like this.
  4. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

It is absolutely what I have felt before a new academic year when I worked FT.

Because you are changing roles and have suffered MH difficulties, your worries are amplified at the prospect of returning to school.

Once you are back at work and busy "in the moment", you internal voice or worries should start to recede from being the focus of your attention.

But workplace dilemma's has lots of good advice, you might gain a lot from reading other threads as well.

hasslethehog, blazer, delnon and 3 others like this.
  5. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Yep, I have the full-on Back to Work horrors: nightmares, insomnia, sudden moments of absolute panic, inability to switch my brain off, manic working for an hour (and achieving little) followed by hours of complete apathy and exhaustion...I was off for a few months earlier this year with work-related anxiety and stress, and after a very mediocre-poor set of results this year, am not looking forward to the new school year in terms of pressure from above, trying to boost the morale of my team while feeling like a giant sack of dog dirt myself, and the knowledge that with the new GCSE, I haven't got a flipping clue what anyone will get next year!
    I am going to soothe my fears by (a) watching Bake Off tomorrow and deciding on my favourite contestant, (b) treating myself to a new, pretty diary tomorrow as it's pay day, (c) wine, (d) wine, (e) wine and (f) whining.

6. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I've always had back to work nerves and jitters and in the past it appeared quite healthy. I used to think that if I didn't have them I'd become complacent and dull. Once back into the flow of things - usually after 2 - 3 days it didn't matter.

The worries as described above must surely be so commonplace nowadays. It's not pleasant to dread going into a workplace and feeling completely overwhelmed. It's a nightmare and I wish others would recognise this.

Good luck to all teachers and staff for the coming weeks.

7. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Sorry - meant to add to previous post. I'm just wondering how many teachers seek advice for MH issues. I won't ask as it's too personal. But - I bet the numbers would be 'interesting'.

By 'interesting' I mean shocking.

8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'm a bit anxious as my HT decided to extend my probation for another term, which both my mentor and HOD were shocked. It stems from some behavioural issues with my form group, which are easily addressed. He ready doesn't know how to talk to people and on two occasions, I started crying. Again, my HOD and mentor were brilliant. The problem is you just don't know when he will strike and other colleagues have reassured me that it's not me, it's him.

I will do my best to be as professional as possible around him, obviously but it's very demoralising.

:(

9. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Always had back-to-school dread, and it didn't stop when I became a teacher either. But as others have said, once back in, things settle down. Or perhaps there wasn't the time to fret. Sometimes it's better not to be too introspective: it isn't possible to control everything: other people have an effect, for better or for SLT.

Workplace dilemmas - best place to go.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

See now I am really looking forward to going back and getting to know my new class and starting our fab new topics and so on. I work in a fabulous workplace with excellent SLT and have no worries.

But give it a few more days and I will have the same worries, jitters, fears, nightmares and so on as every single year.
    What if my class won't listen? (They always have!)
    What if my class refuse to do any work? (Like that's ever happened!)
    What if my colleagues all hate me? (Well they've known me for nearly a year and we're still ons peaking terms, so it's unlikely!)
    What if SLT are horrible? (I'm staying in the same school and know they aren't!)

It's normal and will stop the moment term actually starts.

But after a year of poor mental health, it is doubly hard. Two years ago, I was also worrying about 'What if it happens again?' 'What if that man (the HT) was right and I'm deluding myself by thinking I'm not too old to teach?' 'What if my new head turns out to be just as nasty?' and all that kind of thing. Again, most worries turn out to be a waste of time and effort...it will be ok in the end.
    Good luck and keep in touch.:)

11. hasslethehog

hasslethehog New commenter

Thanks all for your kind and helpful responses. I just needed some reassurance that I'm not alone - although I'm not sure how comforting it is, on a global level, that so many teachers go through a brief albeit finite trauma each time they have to go back to doing their jobs!

I'll definitely check out workplace dilemmas. Good luck everyone - hope you can enjoy the last few days off!