1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to Full Time Teaching: Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sensomteacher1982, Mar 1, 2019.

1. sensomteacher1982

sensomteacher1982 New commenter

Morning all,

I've been an English teacher for nearly twelve years. Last year, after a horrendous experience where I was basically forced out of a 2nd In Department role and had some seriously dark times with depression/stress/anxiety, I made the decision to go part time for a bit of a break. I got a position doing a 3 day a week maternity cover at a fairly nice school and despite my vow to have two days off I've been busy doing intervention work most of the time on the other two days (it's been enjoyable though).

After putting some distance and time between me and awful experience I'm now wanting to get a fulltime permanent role for September. However, despite applying for a number of jobs I've not yet been invited to interview. The last time I was looking for a role (about 18 months ago) every job I applied for led to an interview.

So, in terms of advice I'm wondering:

Are potential employers going to be put off that I'm in a temporary position having left a permanent one with a TLR?

Am I too expensive at UPS2 for "Teacher of English" roles ?

If I am too expensive at UPS2 then should I be saying that I'm at a lower scale when I apply (it's not like there's a massive difference in pay when you take tax into account!)

Any advice on my ramblings would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

I don’t get interviews at M6. Was previously HoD. I’m a MFL teacher and I now have resigned myself to maternity contracts and supply. That said supply is drying up in my area and when this maternity contract ends I will be looking for a job outside of teaching.

install and Shedman like this.
  3. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Where do you live agathamorse? I am on M6 TLR 2b, would be willing to drop the TLR but there are no Jobs going at the mo. Worried I'll be staying in my current school for life!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

In the East Midlands, in south Lincolnshire.

install likes this.
  5. sensomteacher1982

sensomteacher1982 New commenter

A bit worrying then. Maybe I’ll start applying for jobs as M6 and work my way backwards!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Still in same position. No jobs. Think I need to resign myself to my 9th year in current school.

agathamorse likes this.