1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back to basics for Y5

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by electro-web, Mar 31, 2016.

1. electro-web

electro-web New commenter

Hi

I'm a science teacher who has been given a middle ability year 5 maths set. Obviously I can do the maths to that level perfectly well, but I don't have the 'bank' of activities, techniques and lessons that comes with being trained and experienced in a subject.

The year group as a whole haven't done brilliantly on the basics of the four operations (column methods, long division, short/long multiplication) and the HoD has asked us to spend a few weeks next term on hammering these.

Can anyone recommend or point me toward some ideas and techniques for the basics?

thanks!

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if you want the best step by step gradually increasing in difficulty examples search online for Hess. Very old books, now available online, in the Maths STEM site. Not found a better source of such in 25 years of Maths teaching

https://www.stem.org.uk/elibrary/resource/27732/the-four-rules-of

I use these as very differentiated, so in a typical year 5 class you will have some struggling with 2-4 x tables and others confident in all and beyond 12x
    I usually say something like do the entire top line, then the last two from each row.

Beware of online randomised worksheet makers and modern text books. Both tend to jump in difficulty far to quickly, or randomly. Children then find the method difficult because it jumps into say the 7 times table when they are individually only able to do the 4x

4. electro-web

The Hess stuff looks interesting thank you.

I think it really is about practise so that's what they need. Go through a method and they can all do it. Stick it in an exam and they can't.

5. electro-web

Thanks, the Hesse stuff looks good. Practise is it - they can do a method but then freeze in a test (and their tables are awful, my next job is to make a tables test booklet to do once a week).

Having come to maths new, I'm always frustrated that modern books do about 4 or 5 questions then move on. It just isn't enough!

EDIT - Damn, the one I want to use has the answers included. I'll have to get out the tippex!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

with younger children, they will not look at the answers until told to do so. If anyone does, the others will dob them in in about half a second! Do put up answers for them to self mark, otherwise you will spend endless hours marking calculations. Much better if they self mark every 3 sums or so, then they can get help as soon as they need it.
    Re. modern books, absolutely!
    I use the rising stars tables tests, then i added some extensions into dividing sums and mixed , which are in the resources section on here.
    and for extra practice use some investigations from NRICH. Only problem is that marking investigations is a timeless task.
    young children like having an achievement ladder so they can move their name us once they achieve your target for a particular times table.

7. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

Hesse - first published 1959, and I was about to start school as a sprog myself. Just saying...

8. electro-web

Ah, but the answers are right there under the question so I can't just copy up a page of questions!

All really good advice, thank you very much.

9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

indeed. I rescued a set that were being skipped. I'm not quite as experienced as you, started school as we changed to decimal and went to secondary a year too late for the eleven plus et al. (actually, we were all held back a year in primary)
    Si I saw lots of new books right the way through my education and experienced the horrors of SMP for a year or two in mixed ability classes, team taught with a removable curtain across two classrooms. Luckily i then got top setted and was then taught properly by the head of VIth form for 4 years or so.