1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back spasms

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by angiebabe, Feb 29, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I have had back problems for years (probably due to fractured vertebra in car accident in my 20s). I know I am overweight and I am struggling with painful knees due to arthritis. I am however doing what I can to eat more healthily and have been excercising at the gym on the bike, aqua aerobics and swimming.
    Nontheless I am trying to get a grip with my back pain. It can be a bit like my knees, too much inactivity and I get stiff but once moving around I am reasonably ok. Other times li
    Like if I go for a walk I can only describe the sensation as some kind of spasm which I keep walking through but it is very painful and can really slow me down.
    Has anyone else experienced this kind of spasm pain and any advice on what to do about it?

2. Have you tried warming up and then stretching before exercising...walking IS exercise. Also keep hydrated. Tired over used muscles can spasm and especially if you are dehydrated. There are lots of reasons though so it might be an idea to have a word with the GP.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Have you tried putting orthotics in your shoes? They can make a big difference to balancing the way you walk. Boots sells the Scholl ones - these are fine, but go a bit soft after a few weeks - ask your GP if you would benefit from NHS measured ones.

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thanks giraffe - have never heard of these so had a look on line. I shall certainly give them a try. Woke up this morning (and during the night) in agony as pains down my legs - particularly left leg - was excrutiating!
    Thanks to the other posters. Not really keen to take too many painkillers so struggling through. As I have said I've been trying to analyse the spasms and they are definitely worse as soon as I start to walk with any purpose. Also happens when I've been standing for any length of time, which I a bit of a problem as I am in a choir!!

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

If you are going to investigate orthotics, I'd recommend seeing a podiatrist. When my daughter was at school she was a keen athlete who eventually kept getting pain in her hip. No doctor or physio was able to find the cause, but one physio referred her to a podiatrist who very quickly worked out that one of her legs was slightly longer than the other which, through her doing the triple jump, was putting too much strain on one of the hips. To cut a long story short he made her some orthotics to measure, and it stopped the problem. If you are going to buy orthotics it may be as well to a: get an expert to check whether they will be a solution and if so b: get them made to measure.