1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back pain

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jellylegs11, Oct 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM.

1. jellylegs11

jellylegs11 New commenter

Hello

I work in our nursery class and I recently hurt my back picking up one of sen children who jolted to the side and I pulled my back. It was so painful that I went to the docs and was given some meds on Monday. They don't seem to be providing any relief and I can only take paracetamol with them. I continued in work all this week with heat packs on etc but it has been so hard in the nursery setting as you're constantly moving, bending, needed to help children etc and I've been in agony. Today however I made it even worse as I slipped on the pavement outside of school on the way to our harvest service. I came home at dinner as I'm in agony.
    I really don't want to let the team or children down but I can't see how I can rest up as recommended by the doctor in the job I'm in. I have an emergency appointment booked in for the morning but just don't know what to do.
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

2. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear about your back problem, and I am sorry to have to tell you that you have made a common mistake, you went back to work after the first injury, you ignored your GP's instructions and now you have made things worse. You did not want to let your school down by taking time off and now you will need even more time off.
    I know this may seem harsh but you have made things worse. Now you must take time off until you are fully recovered and fit to work in your school nursery. Take as long as you need to, to recover. Don't go back until you are fit or your next sick leave could be months. You could even end up with permanent damage.
    By the way - stop picking up the children.

phlogiston likes this.
  3. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

Yes several times over the years

You NEED to get signed off

Your looking at 2 weeks minimum which your doctor should do

You will need to lie on the floor at home a lot on your back, take ibuprofen if your allowed for the pain

You might need to be referred to a physio but your doctor will know when they examine you

You WILL NOT GET BETTER BY WORKING THROUGH THIS

4. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Never pick up the children. Ever.

Also will your colleagues be there helping you when you’re at home with a bad back?

Your health is more important than a job. Your back has to last the rest of your life.

Daredevil111 likes this.
  5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

We all learn the hard way about how easy it can be to sustain a very painful injury. My first surprise injury aged 19 occurred in a storeroom where I was moving boxes full of empty tin cans. I bent over to pull one out, but it did not budge an inch because the tins in that box were full of paint !!. I could not believe the pain of muscles failing to cope.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not possible in a nursery.

You need to rest over the weekend and listen to the doctor tomorrow.
    Do whatever they advise.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Agree with above. Once you have recovered, if there is a need to pick up a young child( yes sometimes there is), you need to do a manual handling course so that you do so correctly. The same applies for moving all manner of other things you do when you work in nursery.
    Hope you feel better soon, pain in the back is terrible.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Do what the doctors say.

Your injuries should be recorded in the school's accident book. That should mean (a) the school is aware that maybe there is a need for manual handling training/additional risk assessment, and (b) any sick leave is not counted against the normal sick leave entitlements. Hopefully you should be right as rain soon (especially if you do what the doctors say), but just in case...