1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back Pain

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by forestje, Jul 9, 2011.

1. forestje

forestje New commenter

A few years ago my husband was in such severe pain that he went to see a consultant.He had an x ray which showed a disc protruding out of line.The consultant said rest would be the best thing but if it didn't show any improvement, surgery was the next option.
    We are now back in the same situation a few years later.He has retired now and has been moving large floor tiles and the problem has reocurred.Not only that he has a pain down his leg which maybe. from what I have read, sciatica.
    Why is it that some men have an aversion to going to the doctors? It is limiting his daily activities and I know he is getting irritable because of the pain.
    Has anyone had a successful operation for a slipped disc?

2. The only treatment I've ever been offered for sciatica is painkillers. Which have upset my stomach. So now I've got anothr pill to stop the painkillers corroding my stomach!

3. redgrape

redgrape New commenter

I've had cervical surgery and everything went fine. I had to have 3 levels done, removal of discs ( titanium plates put in) along with nerve root & spinal cord decompression. It took 6 weeks of doing very little because I couldn't lift or look up and then some physio. I also have a further disc which has disintegrated & causes some nerve issues in my lower spine, but leaving that alone until the pain gets too bad or is causing serious nerve damage.

redgrape

4. Eeeek!!!!

5. I had sciatic pain for 2 years when I was 17 - 19 years old, and an MRI showed one (lowest) disc protruding. I had a successful operation and was completely pain free for 9 years before it returned (probably due to my lack of fitness). A recent MRI shows I have 'disc debris' from that operation in my nerve, so there are obviously downsides. I am now seeing an amazing osteopath who feels my original problem was due to damaging my coccyx and that not being corrected by the operation. He and painkillers are helping me manage my sciatica now.
    I am basically in favour of operations from my own experience (but obviously everyone is different). I would also recommend seeing an experienced osteopath for a second opinion.

6. There are loads of options without surgery including exercise, but the right exercises of course. I would get him referred to physiotherapist as a first option. Some of the exercises they gave me really helped. One inparticular which is called a sciatic glide. It is a way of gliding the nerve without stretching it. Stretching nerves is bad. It is so simple but so effective. My physio said that loads and loads of people have bulging discs but suffer no problems with it whereas others are in agony so getting your sciatic nerve healthy is really important. Physio has helped to a point but I decided a couple of weeks ago to try an osteopath. If nothing else it is so relaxing to be massaged like that. She said my lower back doesnt move due to injuries in the past and she is helping me to get some movement back. I have a couple of sore days after treatment and then I feel ok again. I know how awful back and leg pain is. It gets you down and makes you feel so depressed being in constant pain. There is so much out there that may help him.

7. I've had a lot of pain this year, sometimes to the point of hardly being able to walk, in my lower back (about the point the pelvis joins the spine) and it turns out one of my lumbar vertebrae was out of place. I've been going to a chiropractor, and it's starting to hold in place. Thankfully there was no damage to my discs, but if I had left it any longer there might have been

8. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Try yoga, swimming (front and back crawl) and lying on the floor with a rolled up towel in the small of your back. Also rolling back and forwards with your knees on your chest. There is a really good book 'Back in Action' by Sara Keay that has lots of exercises. You need to get mobility into your spine and strength into the muscles that support it. You have to do the work so that your spine becomes strong and can cope with sudden twists and turns. You have to keep it up permanently.

9. forestje

forestje New commenter

Thank you all for your help. I am going to show him your suggestions and try to get him to go and get help as it cannot carry on like it is.

10. As a note of caution, I am repeatedly told that Pilates and Core strengthening exercises are "great for sciatica". Well they might be for some, but every time (3) I've started them, it has either brought it on or made it worse.
    I now have an appoinment with a consultant and I bet at some point s/he suggests it!

11. I agree the exercises that have helped me are the ones that help flexibility. The only strengthening one I do is a stomach pelvic tilt. Some stretching can help but you have to be so careful not to stretch the nerve otherwise it will just irritate it.