1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back pain - please help!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by helenemdee, Feb 3, 2019.

1. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

Hi,

I have been suffering lower back pain now for 7 days. It has progressed from just hurting when I bend over to hurting all the time except when sitting or lying down - just standing up causes a dull ache and sitting down or getting up is becoming something to dread - everything seems to jar it. Bending over usually requires holding on to something as support the last couple of days. Getting into and out of the car and turning over in bed is the worst! I'm pretty active with walking, swimming, going to the gym and still been doing that (but taking it steady) thinking it might help, but no. Debating seeing a doctor, but not sure whether they can help and in any case I can't get there for at least a couple of days. Do I just need to rest it. Please help, I feel like an old woman at 32!! Thank you.

2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Please go to your GP. I put with my injury on and off for a long time. As a result, I now have a chronic nerve injury in my lower back. At the very least, your GP can advise you on whether there are other exercises that you need/can give you meds to calm the pain down a bit while you continue with your exercise program. Good luck and hope that you feel better soon! in the meantime, look up McKenzie exercises as these are the best ones to do according to my orthopaedic surgeon.