1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back/ neck/ shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by laweezil, Mar 11, 2018.

1. laweezil

laweezil New commenter

Hi, I’m suffering from something I tend to call marking shoulder.

Looking for tips from others about how such pain can be prevented/alleviated.

Exercise is actually making the pain worse. Marking, using the laptopboth with and without a mouse are causing the problem.

I’m considering buying a book stand to help with marking. Has anyoneused these? Are they practical?

Has anyone asked their school for help with ergonomic aids eg laptopstands, separate keyboards etc?

I use a laptop at school. My shoulder pain is really becoming an issue now. Any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

No good ideas really, but I sympathise as I suffer from the same thing. I am aware that my shoulder pain is much worse when I'm on my laptop at home - I think that's because we have proper 'swivel' office-type chairs at our desks at school while I sit on an ordinary dining chair at home. Not quite high enough, and that definitely makes it worse.

I'll be interested in any ideas others come up with.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Is it the shoulder over which you have a carrying strap for any laptop/ bag you might be carrying? Quite often people overload one side of the body by carrying stuff and push out the opposite hip etc to try and compensate.
    If not then I think you are probably staying in one position for too long using a set of muscles in one position. You need to stretch and flex your body fairly gently to equalise this activity.
    I liken it to having always driven a right hand drive car, your body and muscles well used to climbing into the car and into doing diving position - not massively athletic you might think - but if you start to get into the opposite side of the car a few times you find you might strain/ feel something have a problem.
    It also isn’t good to “ hunch” over a table/ desk. You need to avoid poor sitting posture wherever possible whilst building in suitable breaks for a leg stretch or whatever.
    If none of these apply or help... I think most gp surgeries have you apply to muscle/ skeletal services independently now( ie physiothapy) try them as they ought to be able to identify the problem muscle group. Of course yoga and Pilates are excellent activities for building core strength and alleviating problems.....if up to it try to start a class and hopefully tings will improve for you. ( Maybe even try to get a core few staff together to hire a personal yoga etc teacher to go to school one free after school time - share the cost and maximise the enjoyment and benefits of yoga etc

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I had severe pain in my arm and when I finally went to the GP and then the physio it was my shoulder that was the problem. It's apparently very common. I was given exercises, well, taught them, and not allowed to leave until I was doing them properly, and within two days the pain was ninety percent gone. They are very specific to my shoulder problem and nothing like you weould do at yoga. I now get the pain more in my shoulder than my arm but doing my exercises gets rid of it entirely. I would see your doctor. I had an x-ray to check it wasn't boney spurs obstructimg the nerve,

Yoda- likes this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You'll need to get the GP to agree that this condition is made worse by the laptop and marking that school asks you to do.
    Once you do that, then you can ask school to provide aids to alleviate it.

Otherwise you'll have to provide what you need.

Hope you get something sorted.

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My husband (private sector, so, dare I say it, more businesslike) gets lots of things provided because he gets tennis elbow from using a mouse and other problems from holding his phone. So he has a trackball and a special keyboard and a headset, and no one ever asked him to prove anything via his doctor, they just did it because he asked, and they're not even that good a company. Are schools really so difficult? No wonder no one wants to be a teacher!