1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back/ neck/ shoulder pain- work place requirements

Discussion in 'Personal' started by laweezil, Mar 11, 2018.

1. laweezil

laweezil New commenter

Hi, I’m suffering from something I tend to call marking shoulder.

Looking for tips from others about how such pain can be prevented/ alleviated.

Exercise is actually making the pain worse. Marking, using the laptop both with and without a mouse are causing the problem.

I’m considering buying a book stand to help with marking. Has anyone used these? Are they practical?

Has anyone asked their school for help with ergonomic aids eg laptop stands, separate keyboards etc?

I use a laptop at school. My shoulder pain is really becoming an issue now. Any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received.

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Try using your laptop standing up for a spell,eg at a kitchen worktop. It actually makes a big difference.
    If you're sitting performing repetitive tasks,all sorts of things happen with your posture, which ultimately manifest themselves as localised pain.
    Maybe try it...at least for a short break...

3. notrevlim

notrevlim Established commenter

Get the Doctor to check if there's a rotator cuff/frozen shoulder problem.

FrankWolley likes this.
  4. T34

T34 Established commenter

Your screen needs to be higher so you are looking forward or even slightly upward at it rather than downwards.
    That's more or less impossible with a lap-top unless you add an external monitor placed high up. At least some laptops have the facility for using a subsidiary monitor, I believe.
    I don't think there are any regulations about it. It is just a bad feature of laptops, the screen and the keyboard being at the same height, so to speak.
    A separate keyboard would also solve it, as you suggest. A keyboard doesn't cost much. Just buy one and lift the laptop higher up.

5. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

This is a work related injury. Our school buys into an HR scheme where they can refer for musculoskeletal-skeletal problems. I went to their physio for some massage and exercise advice for a similar shoulder problem. Ask if anything is available through school. Yes, you need to adjust laptop height if using for long periods.

FrankWolley likes this.
  6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Check how much you are carrying too - if you carry a heavy bag full of books, try to take home less ( cue hollow laughter) and/or re-distribute into two lighter bags so there is less strain on one side.

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I ended up trying to use a mouse with my left hand, to give my right a break. It was sooooo slow and tedious, so the experiment didn't last long.

8. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

plug a keyboard and a mouse into the laptop, see a physio.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Laptops are just about the worst type of computer you can have for good posture. If you have to use it, get a proper monitor, keyboard and mouse for it.

There are plenty of videos on youtube explaining how to avoid developing pain when using a computer. This one for example.

10. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Your school should do an assessment of your workstation and provide you with a desk, chair, footrest, wrist support etc. if needed. There are online risk assessment checklists http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ck1.pdf which you can look at yourself.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

My husband and I both changed to using our left hands for the mouse, and then got track balls too. I can still use a mouse in my right hand but it feels really weird. I had a short problem and changing hands did help, and I also got some physio which was excellent, and I can do the exercises whenever I get the pain. Your work should not be making you ill and they should provide what adjustments you need.

12. lala24

lala24 Guest

I saw a physio about this about 10years ago. She gave me a strip of stretchy rubber (balloon like material) and gave me exercises to do. It really works!!! When the pain comes back I do the exercises again. See a physio and get exercises made especially for you. Might cost you, but worth it.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Are you able to explain how the science behind this works, @lala24?

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

you can get a mouse like a joystick - my friend has one at work. wrist problems.
    it is true and it is painful, but knowing him, it just makes me snigger.

15. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

I have had various muscle things go wrong, usually sport related. Every time the GP has been useless. The NHS physios I have seen have been excellent. Really know their stuff. They poke about, find the sore bit, bend you a bit to find the extent of the damage, then give you exercises to do related to the injury. Luckily there is a self referral thing at my local hospital for the physios.