1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back into teaching after a career break

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by HGale, Jul 24, 2017.

1. HGale

HGale New commenter

I was a full time KS2 primary teacher from 2001 until 2011. I then had my first child and returned for two terms in 2013 to take on a temporary SENCO role. Since then I have not been in the classroom and have moved several times (husband in military) and taken on private tutoring at weekends, while bringing up our two children, second child born in 2015. I am very keen to return to teaching on a part time basis and recently approached a local supply agency. They sometimes run return to teaching courses with placements in local schools. However they are not sure when the next course will be. So they have suggested I do supply, but as a teaching assistant rather than as a teacher. Then with references from this work I might be able to get some supply class teacher assignments. Has anyone had experiences of returning after a long break? I feel with my tutoring work I have managed to keep up to date with the changes to the curriculum so am wondering is teaching assistant work the only way for me to get back in to the profession? I think the agency were concerned that my references were from too long ago? What have other people tried to get back into teaching after a long break? Thank you

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

I'm not an expert in this area, but I'm surprised that 4 (or even 6) years is seen as a long break, especially with the tutoring experience you have kept up in between. I can't see that there's anything to stop you from applying for teaching jobs or trying a different supply agency, as long as you can convince them of your ability and show that you are up-to-date with changes in the curriculum.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Find a different agency and say that you are only interested in teacher work, not TA.

4. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Total rubbish about the TA role (eps as they are sooo hard to come by). Go in and start doing some supply. You'll get snapped up in no time!

5. HGale

HGale New commenter

Thank you everyone. Will try other agencies and see what they offer me.

6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

3 education secretaries, one entirely new curriculum, new NCAs, an entirely new assessment regime based on schools' individual interpretations, the new Keeping Children Safe agenda, total SEN refocus, new Ofsted framework, a new head of Ofsted, almost total collapse of central leadership and training, massive change in workforce demographic, mass retirement of baby-boomer heads, lack of investment and funding for a bulge in primary age pupils ... (runs out of breath)

It's a huge break given all that has changed in primary education in the last 6 years.

7. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Well when you put it like that, @drvs, it does seem that a lot has gone on! But people have had longer career breaks than the OP and returned, and though there has been a lot of change, it feels like there always is... Best of luck.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

working on supply

9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Yes, I agree, ability to survive day to day supply will not be affected by many of the items in my reply to @muso2. On the flip side, day to day supply isn't going to upskill the returning teacher to any of those things either. Day to day supply for returning teachers is a form of professional limbo.

It may be worth looking at some of the government's return to teaching resources, also contacting schools directly for long term covers with a view to reentering the permanent workforce, applying for some permanent posts, perhaps part time ones etc etc. I would certainly NOT be suggesting you go back as a TA, I find that absurd.

You'll have to be resourceful but there will be a way back if you're tenacious enough. Good luck!