1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back in the day .....................

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impis, May 30, 2011.

1. impis

impis New commenter

Well - back in the 70s to be exact .....
    Twas fashionable for chaps to have a silk hankie poking out of their crombie coat breast pockets. A different colour for each occasion. To make it easier [and quicker] to change handkerchiefs, [is that how to spell it?] they weren't proper hankies. They were pieces of card with some triangles of satin sewn along one edge. [this was the bit that showed on othe outside of the pocket.
    I've been trying to find somewhere that still sells them, but without luck. None on ebay. Google doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about, and nor do the young sales assisants in Burtons.
    Surely these essentials of the dapper male wardrobe haven't disappeared entirely??!!
    Anyone know of an online shop that still sells them?
    Thanks in advance.
    imp

2. impis

impis New commenter

Sort of. It was my son's wedding last week and we got to talking about the 'good old days' when hankies in the pocket could be replaced so quickly without needing fiddly origami folds .

3. impis

impis New commenter

Thanks for the links
    The one with the points is like the ones we used to be able to buy. The rounded ones aren't. I don't remember any advertising on them. Mind you, as a female, I didn't exactly have many. LOL!
    Maybe someone should start making them again.

4. Ooohh..Levi two tone stay press trousers, Ben Sherman shirt, red socks, brogues with blakeys/seggs in the heel. Tank top jumper, black Crombie overcoat with (aforementioned) red hanky in top pocket.