1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back from holiday - burst pipes - really fed up!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oliverferret, Dec 29, 2010.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

Got back from holiday this morning to find pipes had burst (on Xmas Eve apparently) - my 77 year old dad has been working like a trojan to mop up all the water before we got home(although I'm told from an insurance point of view it would've been better if he'd left it). No heating, no phone line, my son's bed is soaking, all of the flooring is damaged and most of the rooms need re-decorating and not sure if electrics are safe. I've racked up a fortune on my mobile calling the insurance company and already feel as if I'm beating my head against a brick wall with them.
    It's at time's like this that I wish I had a partner to help sort things out - feeling completely fed up and really sorry for myself so just wanted to offload.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm so sorry. That's really rough. It happened to my neighbours and they got loads done on the insurance but it was a tough time. I really feel for you and do hope the insurance will come through. Sounds like there is family help around. I do hope there are other people to offer help too .

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That sounds horrible. We had something similar - not as bad but water had slowly been leaking in to the upstairs floor. Took a long time to sort out with lots of dehumidifiers and redecorating.
    I understand what you mean about a partner. My ex now has the house. Her toilet waste pipe froze and everything backed up. She has spent ages getting it sorted - phone calls, cleaning up. She has offloaded to me and I feel really guilty because I'm not there to help sort things out. But she has managed.
    You will get things sorted - it's just going to take a long time. But it's not want you wanted after a holiday.
    Take care

Robyn

4. I can empathise, my pipes froze when I was snowed away from returning home. Luckily I was there in the thaw and caught the leaking pipe as it started.

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It is startling how much damage it does. My aunt is in italy for the winter and I have ended up having to sort out her place. The most annoying thing so far has been trying to identify what to save. I have eight binbags of frozen and soaked sheets, blankets, clothes, knitted shawls, god knows what it is and curtains in our yard. They are going to be a *** to clean and dry.
    I did wonder if it might not be better to have a bath house like the Romans did.
    you have my sympathy.