1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Back and sciatic nerve pain

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by 19sunflower, Apr 1, 2018.

1. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Many thanks.....alas I have to lose significant weight...... something that isnt easy with my near total lack of mobility (family have insisted on buying me a wheelchair...... have been in it - under protest - once ! ) I use a walker (an 'old woman' machine) or more often crutches to get around. My thyroid function test continues to show low but they are delaying increasing my dose of thyroxine til another blood test late August. The surgery left me on what was a low dose of 125mcg for over 12 months. Last hospital stay showed my levels very low so they upped me to 150..... still showing low but I will have to wait. I try to lose weight and have lost some..... but it is painfully slow.
    I am however grateful that the sciatic pain has subsided and it's "just" the osteoarthritis now....

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

It is so difficult. Weight and fear were an issue for me with the surgery. When I got to the point where I could feel that using the crutches was damaging my hands and shoulders I realised I had to have it done. My BMI was borderline for the surgery and I had one lot cancelled because the person who weighed me at the pre-op assessment told me it was fine to leave my shoes on! It wasn't and that tipped me over the limit. Had to wait for a few more months, had first one done in hospital, ok but very noisy etc so with the next one when I was offered the NHS ward in a private hospital - own bathroom etc - I said yes. The BMI requirement was the same. Three months later I'm making arrangements and the surgeon's secretary tells me on the phone that they've lowered the acceptable BMI for the private hospital as it doesn't have an intensive care unit. So it was going to be cancelled again. Cue me kicking off - didn't anyone think to check the scheduled patients on the list etc etc ? My surgeon intervened and said it was up to the anaesthetist, and he agreed to do it, so it was done. I think my BMI was 37 at that point, I am tall though at 5 ft 11 inches.

You mention Tramadol. That just didn't agree with me, felt like I was going round the twist but I believe it effects people differently.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I was prescribed Tramadol when I had the sciatic episode. As the pain lessened I hadn't actually taken any of them but I have kept the box of Tramadol ready to have in case of need. I will be taking them on holiday with me..... is a safety net.
    I had asked whether the knee surgery could be done with a local but was told no. I admit to being nervous with surgery as after my last vascular surgery I was left with a paralysed right vocal chord. The has made me nervous re surgery.

4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I know that people have spinal blocks for hip surgery and are awake during the procedure, but haven't heard of it for knees, which I know are more complicated. Could have your hip done first? I understand the fear, but for me in the end I was so debilitated that I thought whatever happened I'd just deal with it, as we do, so I was quite calm by the time of the surgery.