1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baccaluareate hits teachers in Southampton

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by tye_55, Jan 21, 2012.

1. I have just been informed that
    one of the teachers (including myself an NQT) from the Design and Technology Department will be made
    redundant. This has come as a massive shock as I only recently took on my post
    last June following an interview for the post of DT teacher advertised on TES the same month. The Head called
    an afterschool meeting and explained that each of us will be required to fill in a
    skills audit prior to a ten day consultation occurring between himself and governors. What they are looking for from the skills audit he claimed depends on the needs
    they decide are most important to the department / its future.

No longer
    keeping DT as a compulsory GCSE next year has led to year 9 options
    resulting in singling out large amounts of surplus future DT curriculum
    hours.
    More than a full time DT teacher's role in fact. HOWEVER I
    am bewildered to
    the fact that the department felt it acceptable to employ 3 permanent
    contract NQT staff for this academic year. Surely the Head was aware of an inevitable drastic drop in future DT students given the
    fact that it would no longer be a compulsory GCSE? Should they not
    have advertised 1 year contracts? Have I been misadvertised my post? The
    baccalaureate was announced well before the hiring of myself and two
    other DT NQT staff last summer. I am unclear of where I stand or if I can fight this (which I would most definitely like to) and never
    really anticipated anything like this would happen to me. I don't
    really
    think there is anything I can do, but to
    perform well and prepare
    to play all my trump cards come the 'audit' (Which is going to be hard
    considering the RM/Graphics teachers that also teach Food and Textiles)
    GUIDANCE PLEASE!??

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I know this is a shock to you at the beginning of a career you hoped would be secure but sadly, welcome to the 20th Century. (No, that is not a typo.)

Very little is inevitable, and it's common for employers to "hope for the best", particularly in the public sector where redundancies are rare (or at least were rare when the last government was happy to keep on using the credit card).

Their choice. Even if they suspected they might lose people, perhaps they wanted to have the best pool possible to pick from.

Well even if you have, "that's life". Sorry, but life isn't perfect and there's no law against "misadvertising a post"!
    What sort of "fight" did you have in mind? Sorry, but they don't have the money to employ everyone, and someone has to go. You can fight "unfair selection", but with less than a year's service you don't really have any employment rights anyway and can more or less be dismissed without reason at any time!

That's pretty much it. You need to shine and be honest - you did get the job in the first place which means you are better than many others who applied for the position. You may well not be the "weakest" in the selection process and there's always a chance someone may want to leave anyway and may either resign or volunteer to go.

All is not yet lost. And even if the worst does happen, it's not until the end of the year so you can finish your NQT and you'll not actually be in any worst position than you would have been had it been a 1 year contract.

3. DM

DM New commenter

There never has been a requirement for Design & Technology to be studied at GCSE. It is an optional subject at GCSE. If your school formerly made it a compulsory subject but have changed their minds with an eye on their Ebacc headline figure then that is entirely up to them. I'm afraid things are going to get much worse for your subject as the Expert Panel of the National Curriculum Review have recommended that D&T is downgraded to a Basic Subject from September 2014 and this could see it almost disappear from schools.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The likelihood is that the they will use the options choices of pupils to decide which of the D & T disciplines can be 'pruned'. In a future year pupils might make diffent choices but what will be on offer to them will be dictated by the reduced staffing levels at the start of the next school year.
    The school have not 'misadvertised'. They advertised based on their staffing requitrements for this year.
    You are in better position than many NQTs as, even if you are the teacher to be made redundant, you will have a year's experience at one school under your belt and will have completed Induction. That makes you attractive to other schools as they won't have to fund a reduced timetable for you if they employ you and you will still be relatively cheap.
    Your lower position on the payscale may also sway your current school to keep you and make a more expensive teacher redundant. An older teacher, nearing retirement, may also volunteer for redundancy.

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Redundancy selection has to be a "fair" process with "fair" selection criteria.
    I can't see how position on the scale could be a fair criterion.
    Attendance record can be as could anything job specific such as flexibility to teach the various strands of the DT curriculum.