1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

babysitter

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dande, Jan 21, 2012.

1. dande

dande New commenter

How much would you expect to pay a babysitter for about four hours work in the evening. Child will be in bed and so they are simply a presence in the house in case of a problem.

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

This was about 20 years ago now, but I used to receive:

For older children who just needed someone in the house, £10 regardless of how long it was for (and sometimes more if it was after midnight) PLUS a lift/taxi home until I could drive myself.

For younger children that needed actual babysitting, more like £3 an hour, especially if it was all when they were awake.

I had a long term stint covering for the overlap between two parents working - I received half of what she earned per hour.

Not sure if that helps, because times change!

3. Crystalsecrets

Crystalsecrets New commenter

The people i work with charge on average 7-8 pounds an hour they are all crb/first aid trained though because of the job we are in. I guess it would also depend which part of the country you are in.

4. £15-20 and some tasty snacks.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Depends too on the age of the babysitter.

6. My 17 year old son gets £20 for 4 hours babysittign for the neighbour's year 5 and 6 children. He is well impessed that he gets paid that to basically play on the Wii with them and then watch telly on super enormous widescreen when they are in bed without having to fight brother and parents over the choice of channel!
    His only hassle is persuading them that they shoudl actually brush their teeth at night!

7. andromache

andromache New commenter

my daughter and niece (both 18) get £5 per hour, and of course that's for merely being 'a presence in the house'. if parents want someone to feed, entertain, educate and/or discipline their children then they need to employ a nanny or governess, or consider boarding school.

8. £5 per hour at least.
    "simply a presence in the house in case of a problem" - yes indeed, but if there IS a problem then that babysitter will have to respond to it.

9. My sister babysits for quite a few family friends and usually gets paid £20 for 3 or 4 hours work.

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I'm guessing it's a teenage babysitter as an adult would probably set their own rate.
    I'd say no less than £20.