1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

baby's addicted to nipple shields - how to wean off?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by mousee, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Hi everyone. My baby is 21 days old. She will not feed for any length of time without a nipple shield. We also have to top her up, with Expressed Breast Milk (if there is any) and SMA. I am keen to get rid of the nipple shields and hopefully the SMA. However baby is a lazy feeder and falls asleep through feeding. She lost a lot of weight to start with because she slept for the first few days. She was also not keen to feed as soon when she was born. I wonder if anyone has advice to wean off the nipple shields. All the midwives etc. say she will get the hang of BF as she gets bigger. I've tried starting off with the pump and often try her without the shield first and have tried removing it half way through but nothing works. I feel that the whole feeding thing would be much easier if we didn't have to use bottles, shields & sterilisers all the time. And each feed takes 1 1/2-2 hours.

2. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Congratulation on your new baby. Yes you are right. Life would be much simpler if you did not express. Is her weight on an upward trajectory since her lowest recorded weight Post partum?
    To elaborate a bit on the good information you have already been given by mumtoemnsam (?) is to strip your baby down to nappies and with minimal clothing on your top too. Only a bra if necessary and go to bed together all day for a few days. Aim to keep your body at a 30 degree angle with your baby on your chest and let her snuffle around and find the breast herself. Hunger will drive her to find the breast. This technique is called Biological Nurturing. Recent studies have found that if we allow babies to find the breast (baby-led attachment) rather than mother led attachment, they can acheive a better latch than when we 'help' them. (no nipple shields)

the BN website has a video here. http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html There is also a BN 'recipe' which is great too on the page. notice how tiny the early feeding cues are in a baby. Most mothers are not given the time to understand new born cues which can lead to early feeding difficulties.

a good webpage is this Australian one: http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/bla.html
    if you want to see the innate latching ability of newborns, visit www.breastcrawl.org

good luck and keep us updated.