1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby walkers

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Lohman, May 8, 2012.

1. Hi,
    LO is now 9 months and crawling everywhere. He likes to walk holding on to me and has just learnt how to pull himself up on things. I'm struggling a bit knowing what to do with him when I need to get things done (quick chores, toilet etc). I have a play pen but he will only go in it for max 10mins until he's screaming. I wondere if a walker would be a good idea as he seems to want to be on his feet all the time. A HV said to me a while back that they don't encourage them because they can always tell the children that have used them - not sure why though? I'm looking at a bruin play and ride as it converts to soething he can sit on later - thinking this might last longer. Any ideas?

2. We used a jumperoo - (HV's don't advise) followed by a walker - however we did not leave him in it for long periods of time. I may be wrong but I think issues arise when people leave them in them for sustained periods.

3. Yep - Trading Standards thing I came across earlier said no longer than 15 minutes at a time and always supervised.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

The jumperoo guidelines say half hour. I used a jumperoo for both of mine, but they got bored of it once they got to the cruising furniture stage.

5. We've got a walker that's like a little car thing, so they can sit on it
    too. My daughter started walking at 9.5 months, so she follows me
    around when I have chores to do, and i also have a 2 year old so they
    keep each other entertained. [​IMG]

6. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

My parents have one for my little girl - I don't know the make, but it can't move when she's sitting in the seat, she has to be able to stand up in it to make it move. Except she doesn't! She stands quite happily, but has no inclination to walk in it which I'm quite happy about! It has a removeable toy thing on it which makes it into a little table - so she sometimes sits in there to eat.
    I'd heard about the tippy toe thing. I do remember my mum's friend's little lad tearing around in his almost 30 years ago - he loved it and it was quite a sturdy thing.

7. I think the issue in canada stemmed from children having accidents in babywalkers rather than a develpmental problem. things like falling down stairs or injuring themselves.
    I didn't want one, mostly because we have so little space in our house but bought a push along vtech thing instead (first steps?). Mum bought a babywalker for her house but he was hardly in it.
    there's a kid at my toddler group I'm convinced was in one for ages - she tippytoes around the place. it's actually quite sweet [​IMG] she looks very dainty like a wee fairy.

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

They can always tell...oh yeah? My aunt is a physio and her kids used them, she laughed and said she very much doubts anyone can tell. Assuming of course they are used for short supervied periods I know lots of people that used them and just lied to HV. My kids had
    them for short periods and walked very quickly (not that it's a
    competition but just so you aren't worried).

9. Mine used them too - they were an absolute god send. My eldest daughter was walking independently at 11 months - so no delay there. My eldest son destroyed his walker - it ended up with only one wheel left on it! Come to think of it he wrecked his cot too! All things in moderation is my mantra, there is far too much worrying about doing the right thing - if only you could get clear advice about what is the right thing you'd be fine wouldn't you?

10. It was a paediatric physio who gave me the info at a baby group, not a HV!