1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby Toiletries

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by poohsticks123, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please? I am currently 31 weeks pregnant and trying to get ready for the babies' arrival (I'm having twins). I have read that you don't need anything except water and cotton wool balls for the first few weeks. However, my mum said she like to see how I'm suppose to get the babies clean with just water (esp. their bottoms). So did you use baby bath, shampoo, wash etc in the early days? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. I don't use anything in the bath except water. I use shampoo (Gentle Lentil from Lush) but that's all. I use baby wipes, however, and that gets him clean as I don't bath him every day.

3. You'll soon give up on water and cotton wool on bums! Especially the first sticky poos! Just go for baby wipes. We didn't use anything else until she was about a month old I think. No bubble bath or anything. You might want it for later on though! Sudocrem or something similar might be good in case they get sore bottoms! Asda are having a baby event now so you could stock up! I buy loads of stuff when they have them. x

4. My NCT teacher said vaseline is invaluable to put on bums to stop the meconium sticking as it's really hard to get off! [​IMG]

5. I completely agree with gembop on baby wipes - cotton wool is useless

6. This may sound a bit odd but I used cut up tesco value jay cloths (the blue ones usually used in the kitchen) on my LO's bum! I used wet cotton wool to start with then dried off with the cloths as I found the cotton wool got stuck to the drying bum. The cloths have a good scooping action too if there is a lot of poo. I washed and reused the cloths and this made it so much cheaper than cotton wool. I did this for about the first month and then went on to using baby wipes (I use cheekywipes http://www.cheekywipes.com/)
    I didn't use anything in her bath for the first month either although I did use olive oil on her skin to keep it soft. My HV and MW both said that johnsons products would dry out her skin.
    After a month I began to use johnsons bedtime bath and top to toe wash, dentinox cradle cap shampo and littleme baby organics bedtime cream.

7. i'd advice when you do put something in the bath you use something that doesnt have parabens or SLS's... i know that the little me organics range dont have them in and they have a third off at the mo in sainsburys. my little one has quite sensitive skin and it went really dry and scaly when we used johnsons a couple of times
    HTH
    x

8. I used cotton wool for all of mine - the balls and fluffy stuff are useless but cotton wool pads are excellent - fine for meconium. You don't need to dry bottoms - use cotton wool which is damp rather than soaking and the clean nappy will absorb any excess. Wipes come into their own when the baby starts to abscond/push basins of water over/generally cause trouble. Also much, much easier when you go out.
    I used nothing in bath water - in fact my 3rd didn't have a bath until he was around a month old - but almond oil for massage and for cradle cap. Only introduced bath products once actually getting dirty. Usually Sainsburys own brand. E45 lotion is good for dry skin.
    Sudacrem is essential for sore bottoms but don't use it routinely (or any other bottom cream) as they block the absorbency of the nappy.

9. Thanks for all the replies - it's really useful to hear what other mothers do [​IMG]

10. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I wouldn't buy anything now except the sudocrem and cotton wool pads.
    I was given loads of baby toiletries as gifts after my 2nd baby and still have loads left, 2 years later!

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

My advice would be don't be a hero when the meconium (first poo) comes!! Do ask the nearest nurse to help you clean it off; don't do the first couple on your own, especially with twins. The stuff is like treacle and fragrance free baby wipes will be fine.
    Johnson's stuff can be drying but lots of midwives use another type (can't remember the name so will pop onto Tesco website in a mo!) to wash both body and hair. It's great and has the added bonus of being cheaper than Johnsons.
    Good luck!

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Infacare!

13. Thanks for that. I will have a look for Infacare the next time I'm in Tesco [​IMG]

14. I don't use any Johnsons range, dries skin out. I started with Little Me Organics range for bathing and now use Weleda Baby range, boots sell them both,
    When Isobel first born we did attempt cotton wool, pain in the ****! We use Simple baby wipes and we still use them now. Also we rotate between Sudorem, Zinc & Castor and Bepathen.She became resilient against Sudocrem, and switched to Zinc and Castor still use it lots now. Bepathen only when nappy rash is bad.