1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baby that wakes up every half hour....

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by wormburger, Dec 19, 2010.

1. The title says it all really, she won't drop off til very late and then only on us. We then put her in her cot and if she doesn't wake immediately and start crying then she wakes within half an hour. We then take her out, cuddle her and put her back in once she's dropped off. This can happen up to 10 times until night until the early hours when presumably she's so tired that she sleeps for a longer stretch.
    I know that she is probably overtired but getting her to sleep in the day is tricky too. At the moment I have her stapped into the sling in order to 'make' her have a lunchtime nap. She will fall asleep travelling and if I time it right and its the middle of the day then she will stay asleep for a good few hours.
    I know that there is no magic solution, we're pretty sure she's not cold or hungry so presumably its just a battle of wills? Although she is only 14 weeks old, I don't know if they are manipulative at that age? We have had a few nights where she has slept for 5,6 or even 7 nights so I thought we'd cracked it, but for the last week she has been waking constantly and not done any long stretches.
    Help!

2. The napping thing is a battle! I have finally managed to crack it but it's taken a lot of hard work with a week snowed in to help us to concentrate on it. I found that once you teach them to self soothe they tend to sleep better because if they do wake, they can get themselves back off without you having to comfort them.
    How I did it was to put them down when they first show signs of tiredness. For us it's rubbing his eyes. I close the curtains and sit quietly next to the cot. You can put your hand on their chest too. The idea is that they eventually drop off. If you persevere with it, it should take less time and then you can start moving away and eventually leave them to go to sleep. I must admit I haven't got that far yet but things are much better. My LO is 16 weeks, naps 3 times a day ish and sleeps on average 7 hours, then has a feed then goes back down for another 3, then usually another 1. I think consistency is the key. It's lovely to be able to put him down after a feed and him go off to sleep without having to sit there for an hour to make sure that he is properly asleep, the put him down and cry if he wakes up! It's so tempting to do the easy thing [pick them up] but try to let her do it herself.

3. Are you sure she's not hungry? Is she breast or bottle fed. How often are you feeding now? Try offering a feed if she is waking up after half an hour. Check with the health visitor if you aren't sure. Try not to let the midday sleep go on too long, even though it is tempting to leave her to sleep.

4. ghafran

ghafran New commenter

hi
    I understand
    we have a child the same. was sleeping great at first but after abt 10 months just wakes up constantly in the night. maybe it's teething or the temperature is too high too cold. babies are very particular abt temperature.

5. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Poor you, that sounds exhausting!
    Definitely too young to be deliberately manipulative, but she's letting you know what she doesn't like (being put down) in no uncertain terms.
    Reading a book is possibly the last thing on your mind right now, but I found the 'no-cry sleep solution' by Elizabeth pantley to be really useful for ideas to gently instill a sleep routine.
    And as suggested above, check her tummy is good and full to maximise sleep.
    Good luck, it will get better.

6. youmakemesmile

youmakemesmile New commenter

Yes, I agree that I she's too young to be manipulative. There's a great article on mybaba.com called 'why won't my baby nap?' It's probably the best thing I've read on this. It refers to Elizabeth Pantley too.

7. youmakemesmile

Could you try feeding her and changing nappy straight before a little wind down time a half hour before bed where she is not actually on you, but her lying down with you nearby and say a white noise machine or massage or something she likes might work? Then if her eyes close enough you could move a little further away?

Some people also think that if babies aren't allowed to nap after 5 then they go down much better.

Sorry if any of the advice backfires. Do try the mybaba article though as it had suggestion for babies who slew for a little and then wake up.

From a mum who has just been looking up ideas for her own baby yesterday!

8. youmakemesmile

Oh and parents.com has an article called '3 ways to get baby to sleep in the crib' which was very interesting for those times when babies who will sleep in slings etc need to go in the cot. Not sure I agree with all of it but worth a read